Scheduling Suggestions for IM intern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tapoona

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My program sent six different schedules to choose from and I need some help figuring out how to rank my schedule choices. My program only has one class ahead of me so there are a limited number of upper levels.

I have four kids so I would like to be home on Christmas. I have no other requirements.

Would you suggest starting with Inpatient to get use to the hospital, computer system, and get a good sample size of pathology?

Would you suggest starting with selectives and electives and then move to the teaching service?

A couple of the options have only one intern on the teaching service and the others have two interns on the teaching service? Pros or cons to either?

I was thinking of starting off with inpatient and doing my outpatient month during December.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

My program sent six different schedules to choose from and I need some help figuring out how to rank my schedule choices. My program only has one class ahead of me so there are a limited number of upper levels.

I have four kids so I would like to be home on Christmas. I have no other requirements.

Would you suggest starting with Inpatient to get use to the hospital, computer system, and get a good sample size of pathology?

Would you suggest starting with selectives and electives and then move to the teaching service?

A couple of the options have only one intern on the teaching service and the others have two interns on the teaching service? Pros or cons to either?

I was thinking of starting off with inpatient and doing my outpatient month during December.

Thoughts?
I'd personally say start with inpatient. Jump in and get one out of the way. I probably wouldn't start with ICU though. I don't think it matters THAT much in the end, I started with a consult month and did fine.

Try not to have more than 2 months inpatient in a row.

Give yourself at least one elective month in the wintertime, you'll want it to decompress.

Reactions: 1 user
The honest truth: It really doesn't matter. It all comes out in the wash.

I assume this is a pre-match program. Unless you're going to be a PGY-2? Or somebody has hacked the NRMP...

Reactions: 1 users

I assume this is a pre-match program. Unless you're going to be a PGY-2? Or somebody has hacked the NRMP...
Or AOA match.

But I agree with both @aProgDirector and @Raryn. I'd argue to start inpatient (I did ICU and it made the rest of the year seem much easier by comparison) but it really doesn't matter.

i agree with doing inpt early as well...did ICU in August and was running half scared and half stupid the entire month...but made the rest of the year easier (its a relative thing that easier thing :) )

i would suggest spreading out your vacation time to have a break every 3-4 months if you have the ability to do so...made a BIG difference for me in intern year

Good to know.

AOA match happened almost a month ago.

Thoughts?

In my experience 1 intern team, when you're the only intern, is hell. 2 interns you can help each other out and balance the workload a bit easier.