Scheduling Suggestions for IM intern

Started by Tapoona
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Tapoona

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My program sent six different schedules to choose from and I need some help figuring out how to rank my schedule choices. My program only has one class ahead of me so there are a limited number of upper levels.

I have four kids so I would like to be home on Christmas. I have no other requirements.

Would you suggest starting with Inpatient to get use to the hospital, computer system, and get a good sample size of pathology?

Would you suggest starting with selectives and electives and then move to the teaching service?

A couple of the options have only one intern on the teaching service and the others have two interns on the teaching service? Pros or cons to either?

I was thinking of starting off with inpatient and doing my outpatient month during December.

Thoughts?
 
My program sent six different schedules to choose from and I need some help figuring out how to rank my schedule choices. My program only has one class ahead of me so there are a limited number of upper levels.

I have four kids so I would like to be home on Christmas. I have no other requirements.

Would you suggest starting with Inpatient to get use to the hospital, computer system, and get a good sample size of pathology?

Would you suggest starting with selectives and electives and then move to the teaching service?

A couple of the options have only one intern on the teaching service and the others have two interns on the teaching service? Pros or cons to either?

I was thinking of starting off with inpatient and doing my outpatient month during December.

Thoughts?
I'd personally say start with inpatient. Jump in and get one out of the way. I probably wouldn't start with ICU though. I don't think it matters THAT much in the end, I started with a consult month and did fine.

Try not to have more than 2 months inpatient in a row.

Give yourself at least one elective month in the wintertime, you'll want it to decompress.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The honest truth: It really doesn't matter. It all comes out in the wash.

I assume this is a pre-match program. Unless you're going to be a PGY-2? Or somebody has hacked the NRMP...
Or AOA match.

But I agree with both @aProgDirector and @Raryn. I'd argue to start inpatient (I did ICU and it made the rest of the year seem much easier by comparison) but it really doesn't matter.
 
i agree with doing inpt early as well...did ICU in August and was running half scared and half stupid the entire month...but made the rest of the year easier (its a relative thing that easier thing 🙂 )

i would suggest spreading out your vacation time to have a break every 3-4 months if you have the ability to do so...made a BIG difference for me in intern year
 
My program sent six different schedules to choose from and I need some help figuring out how to rank my schedule choices. My program only has one class ahead of me so there are a limited number of upper levels.

I have four kids so I would like to be home on Christmas. I have no other requirements.

Would you suggest starting with Inpatient to get use to the hospital, computer system, and get a good sample size of pathology?

Would you suggest starting with selectives and electives and then move to the teaching service?

A couple of the options have only one intern on the teaching service and the others have two interns on the teaching service? Pros or cons to either?

I was thinking of starting off with inpatient and doing my outpatient month during December.

Thoughts?

In my experience 1 intern team, when you're the only intern, is hell. 2 interns you can help each other out and balance the workload a bit easier.