Schizophrenia and blindness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Crayola227

La Belle Juive, Queen Tinfoil
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad

Maybe it isn't news amongst psychiatrists. A search on SDN for "schizophrenia blindness" didn't pop anything up, so I assume this topic hasn't come up recently. I thought it might be interesting fodder for discussion. I can't speak to the scientific accuracy/merit/literature on the topic but the read was intriguing.
 

Some further readings on both sides, and some discussions about drawing conclusions from small samples in which you examine a MH diagnosis that is prevalent in a relatively small portion of the general population and examine it in a relatively small population (congenital/cortical blindness).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When they do DBS in people with schizophrenia (which I believe is rare), what part of the brain do they target? Congenital blindness would relate the occipital lobe, correct? I wonder if in a different time this would be enough to go ablating parts of the brain in people with schizophrenia to see what happens.
 
Did you read the paper? 66 people had cortical blindness. The sample is not large enough to give you a real answer. The spin on this is unreal.
Did you read the paper? They were talking about congenital blindness, not just specifically cortical. Not saying your point is invalid, just no reason to single me out in a rude way when I merely brought it forth as a topic for discussion and said as much, and to boot you got that detail wrong. Irony.
 
When they do DBS in people with schizophrenia (which I believe is rare), what part of the brain do they target? Congenital blindness would relate the occipital lobe, correct? I wonder if in a different time this would be enough to go ablating parts of the brain in people with schizophrenia to see what happens.

Haven't seen it in clinical practice yet, but i believe at least one of the clinical trials was targeting the ventral tegmental area. Other looking at areas of the ACC and nucleus accumbens.