Scholarship Bargaining

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anonymous1991

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick questions --

1. Is it acceptable to attempt to bargain an increased merit scholarship with a school based on acceptance to a state school with much lower tuition? In other words, would contacting the school I want to go to and telling them I have an offer from a cheaper state school be plausible reason for them to extend a bit more merit aid to me?

2. Who do I contact for this sort of thing? (Financial aid office, admissions, etc.?)

3. What are your thoughts on doing this now (before May 15th) even though I am on some waitlists and not completely sure if I would stick with this school (with added scholarship) if given a waitlist spot. My thought is that after May 15th when I pick this school as my one acceptance I will have little to no bargaining power left to ask for more money, but if I do it before I can't necessarily 100% say for sure I will attend (depending on waitlist action).

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Quick questions --

1. Is it acceptable to attempt to bargain an increased merit scholarship with a school based on acceptance to a state school with much lower tuition? In other words, would contacting the school I want to go to and telling them I have an offer from a cheaper state school be plausible reason for them to extend a bit more merit aid to me?

2. Who do I contact for this sort of thing? (Financial aid office, admissions, etc.?)

3. What are your thoughts on doing this now (before May 15th) even though I am on some waitlists and not completely sure if I would stick with this school (with added scholarship) if given a waitlist spot. My thought is that after May 15th when I pick this school as my one acceptance I will have little to no bargaining power left to ask for more money, but if I do it before I can't necessarily 100% say for sure I will attend (depending on waitlist action).

Thanks for your help!

As long as you have leverage (which it sounds like you do), and aren't just blatantly asking for more money, then yes this is perfectly reasonable.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Would you recommend contacting the dean of admissions for this sort of thing?

Either the Dean of Admissions or person in charge of financial aid, with a very professional, polite, and tactful e-mail.

Either the Dean of Admissions or person in charge of financial aid, with a very professional, polite, and tactful e-mail.
Thanks for your help! I'm thinking of simply stating that I strongly prefer this school over my in-state school, but due to the large difference in COA the decision is difficult from a financial perspective. I want to figure out how to not flat out say "can you give me more money" but still make it clear that I am asking about an increased level of scholarship funds.

Do it! My friend got a 10k scholarship, went back to the office of finances, raised hell, and got up to a 30k scholarship. His stats were terrible too haha. And to top it off, he doesn't even want to go to that school anymore.