Scholarship money

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JD11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any evidence on which schools have traditionally given significant scholarships to non-traditional studetns?

Members don't see this ad.

Any evidence on which schools have traditionally given significant scholarships to non-traditional studetns?
There aren't any schools that have specific scholarships awarded based solely upon nontrad status, as far as I'm aware. Scholarships are generally of two types: merit-based, and diversity. Some, like the one I have, are for both. In general, there are very few scholarships to go around in medical school, and you should not count on getting one. Even most people who are very competitive in terms of stats do not end up getting a merit scholarship. Diversity scholarships are often given to people from backgrounds that are underrepresented in medicine (racial/ethnic minorities as well as disadvantaged). If you fall into one of those categories, it may increase your odds of getting a scholarship, but still, there are no guarantees.

Agreed. Scholarships are very few and far between. Likewise with grants. Don't count on them.

Members don't see this ad :)
The last nontrad free ride I heard of was an over-40 mom, for the first class at a new MD school. Makes sense to me: if I were starting a new school I'd want some mature, emotionally stable students around to abate chaos.

I think NJBMD got a free ride - she started at 45.

I have an over-40 classmate, currently M2, who got a military scholarship. I think that's a rarity - isn't the age limit 35, so that's a waiver?

Best of luck to you.

I agree with what better posters have said, that you shouldn't count on scholarships.

However, to put a finer point on it: while there are (likely) no specific scholarship opportunities for nontraditional students, nontrads are at no disadvantage to win any scholarships available at any medical school.

I would suggest, without any data to back this up beyond anecdotal evidence, that the percentages of nontrads who win scholarships mirrors the greater applicant pool.

The military has raised its age limit. They were recruiting me - and I was 40 with a bad ankle and could not complete PFTs. Yes, they had an answer to that one too and would have taken me.

The military has raised its age limit. They were recruiting me - and I was 40 with a bad ankle and could not complete PFTs. Yes, they had an answer to that one too and would have taken me.

Hmm, maybe they would be interested in a paraplegic with off-road tires after all... ;)