Scholarship Search

selenaharvard24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!!!!

I am going to be a HS sophomore in September this year. When could i possibly start searching and applying for scholarships? Also, where can i apply for full scholarships based on SAT scores or gpa?

Members don't see this ad.

Zinch has some good scholarships as does Scholarships.com. Really, if you just google scholarships for high school students you'll find a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your best bet is local stuff. The national stuff is just too competitive. So look into your local lions club, women's rotary, etc. Ask your school counselors/career center.

I got about 10k in scholarships when I left high school and it was all local stuff. The best were the really local ones which were checks addressed to me :)

Start searching now.

I would look at state scholarships and local scholarships (rotary club, ymca, etc). Start with your state's website. There's probably an "Education" link. I recieved a full ride scholarship to the UW through my state (Washington) based on GPA and SAT (and Wasl, a state test).

Your high school probably has a counseling/career center as well, and this is a great place to start. I know at mine they gave me a two page list of websites to use when searching for scholarships.

am i not too young???

Not at all! In fact, if you wait til your senior year you'll be very angry that you did so. It takes time and effort to find scholarships. Most are yearly, so even if you don't make the cut off time this year, you'll have next year too.

There are scholarships for all ages, as someone above said. Elementary and middle school students can even apply to certain scholarships!

Sophomore year is a little early to start searching for scholarships. Usually scholarships are provided to juniors and seniors.

Last edited:
my advice: take the PSAT this year for the experience. it won't count towards anything until next year (your junior year) at which point you should STUDY STUDY and rock that test. if you do well enough (usually 212+) you'll qualify to be a national merit scholar. MANY state schools offer full scholarships to national merit scholars (in high school I got offers from Oklahoma and Arizona) and other state schools will throw scholarships at you that basically amount to a full ride. I'm a senior at the University of Minnesota now and they gave me three scholarships amounting to a full ride, plus scholarships for research and study abroad. I'm graduating in May with zero debt (and plenty of money saved up for med school)! :D:thumbup: