-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Scholarship
Started by WilburSK
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Have you checked the financial aid website of that school? They often have decent links. It's also possible that you might receive some scholarship money directly from the school in your financial aid package.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Fastweb
College Board's FUND FINDER
Scholarships.com
Peterson's Award Database
NextStudent
Scholarships101
ScholarshipExperts
BrokeScholar
CollegeData
Wintergreen/Orchard House (WOH)
College Board's FUND FINDER
Scholarships.com
Peterson's Award Database
NextStudent
Scholarships101
ScholarshipExperts
BrokeScholar
CollegeData
Wintergreen/Orchard House (WOH)
I have looked at these websites and I am having difficulty in locating scholarships for medical students. is there a better way to look?
At a financial aid meeting on an interview day, they suggested searching twice, once as a med student as once as a grad student. Maybe that will help?
I have been accepted to med school! now, i would like help in paying for it.
do you know where i can find scholarships/grants to apply towards school?
There aren't a lot of scholarships aimed at med students. Why? Because unlike teachers, social workers, or public health people, you'll be making more than enough to pay back your loans. Most med school scholarships come from the schools themselves (unless you're a minority, in which case, you might qualify for government grants)
I truly appreciate the advice that was given. Unfortunately, I have found little success as a white male in finding any scholarships.
Has anyone found any specific school's financial aid office particularly useful when looking for outside aid?
Has anyone found any specific school's financial aid office particularly useful when looking for outside aid?
Seriously, OP? It's medicine, scholarship money doesn't just rain down from the sky.
The other posters are right. Your best bets for significant $$$ are scholarships from your medical school, a 2-4 year commitment to primary care in an underserved (read: rural) area as part of the National Health Service Corps, or a 4-year commitment to one of the armed services. If you don't mind signing away a few years of your life to the military, the latter is a pretty sweet deal (full ride w/ stipend + officer commission).
http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment/
The other posters are right. Your best bets for significant $$$ are scholarships from your medical school, a 2-4 year commitment to primary care in an underserved (read: rural) area as part of the National Health Service Corps, or a 4-year commitment to one of the armed services. If you don't mind signing away a few years of your life to the military, the latter is a pretty sweet deal (full ride w/ stipend + officer commission).
http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment/
Thank you for the response. But it wasn't exactly what I was hoping for; I am aware of the service programs available, but I am not able to find many scholarships.
I'm not suggesting there are tons of scholarships, I am just wondering if there are any. And if so, where can I find them.
I don't think a pretentious attitude is necessary to make suggestions.
I'm not suggesting there are tons of scholarships, I am just wondering if there are any. And if so, where can I find them.
I don't think a pretentious attitude is necessary to make suggestions.
Thank you for the response. But it wasn't exactly what I was hoping for; I am aware of the service programs available, but I am not able to find many scholarships.
I'm not suggesting there are tons of scholarships, I am just wondering if there are any. And if so, where can I find them.
I don't think a pretentious attitude is necessary to make suggestions.
No one is being pretentious; everyone is being honest. If you are a white male who does not want to join the military or the NHSC, you're probably not going to find any scholarships. Many med schools do offer scholarships, but you most likely have to wait until you get your financial aid letter to find out if you were awarded one.
No one is being pretentious; everyone is being honest. If you are a white male who does not want to join the military or the NHSC, you're probably not going to find any scholarships. Many med schools do offer scholarships, but you most likely have to wait until you get your financial aid letter to find out if you were awarded one.
Well, plenty of white civilizian males find scholarships. You just have to be a complete BAMF if you want to get one.
OP, just do a search. You'll find all the answers you want and more, and few of us have enough experience with receiving scholarships to medical school to really be helpful. It's a difficult thing to accomplish.
4
45408
Realistically, your only options are merit-based scholarships provided by your school. You will need to have some very impressive scores/accomplishments in order to get them.
Well, plenty of white civilizian males find scholarships. You just have to be a complete BAMF if you want to get one.
OP, just do a search. You'll find all the answers you want and more, and few of us have enough experience with receiving scholarships to medical school to really be helpful. It's a difficult thing to accomplish.
+1. Yes, this. See below for details on how this works:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not suggesting there are tons of scholarships, I am just wondering if there are any. And if so, where can I find them.
Okay, so in all seriousness, you should also look at private foundations. If you can demonstrate a strong commitment to a particular area of medical research, you might be eligible for significant awards. Of course, these awards typically don't pay you for studying; they support students for dedicated research time. See for example:
Clinical Scholars Award
Award Description: These awards provide one year of research support to students interested in clinical and basic science diabetes research. Those working on an MD, PharmD, DPM or DO are eligible.
Support: Awards are $30,000 a year for one year. Applicants may request up to $20,000 for the student's stipend and up to $10,000 for lab expenses. No indirect costs may be requested.
http://professional.diabetes.org/Diabetes_Research.aspx?typ=18&cid=64383#CS_Award