Scholarships specifically for the application process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soso694

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got into an argument with my friend who is neither pre-med or in med school. (He works in tech). I did not qualify for AMCAS's FAP so am having a hard time paying for this application cycle out of pocket. He gave me the whole "there's money out there you're just not looking for it" spiel. As someone who has been preparing to apply to medical school for 5 years and researched every aspect of fee assistance, I told him while that may be true for other grad programs, besides the FAP, there is literally no financial assistance program that exists to support those going through the actual application process. Every scholarship I find is for current medical school students, none specifically for gap year students who are applying.

Now I never say never, so if you guys so know of any, I'd like to know. Otherwise can someone concisely explain why a scholarship of this nature is virtually non-existent?

Members don't see this ad.

1. FAP exists for people who demonstrate financial need. So there is no point in giving a need based scholarship to apply.
2. From a merit based perspective, people choose to give their money to people who actually get into school, and not those applying.

can someone concisely explain why a scholarship of this nature is virtually non-existent?
Gap year people are working a full time job. Usually you can live a Spartan existence for a few months and come up with enough for applying. If you're paid really little, you can use credit cards and then pay those down over the year.