Scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amc252

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Does anyone know which optometry schools give the best financial aid/merit based scholarships?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I can only speak for SCO, but they have a TON of scholarships. Ask one of the current students for the exact number, but a high percentage of students get some sort of scholarship.

is it too late to get scholarships at SCO? I mean, I know most schools have a deadline, which is usually December... any ideas anyone? I have an interview at SCO Jan. 11 and I wasn't sure if I still had a chance to get any scholarships...?

Members don't see this ad :)
the committee at SCO met in november to divide up the scholarships

SCCO has a lot of scholarships, too. They awarded $196,925 to 154 students this year. Students apply with an essay, and are selected by SCCO's scholarship committee. SCCO's class size is only 96, so it's easy to see that you have a good shot of getting a big scholarship. (Even if nobody ever drops out and EVERY student applies to the scholarship, you have a 40% chance of getting one.)

SCCO also participates in the WICHE program. This is a loan of 16k a year every year that is forgivable if you return to certain states to work. I qualified for this program and will save around 64k, as long as I return to Washington State to work for 4 years. (And I will, because I love Seattle.)