Scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

123hawk4life

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering who has received a scholarship to any of the colleges and what amounts you are receiving. If you wouldn't mind, please include your stats as well! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Scholarships are usually small, or come with conditions:
  • Many schools have small awards (often named for alumni), some require a certain state residency or nationality
  • Limited need-based award, also smaller amounts
  • A lot of small awards are giving out during your 4th year for clinical skill, research, writing paper/essay (again only 4th year & small)
The only substatial awards fall into 3 groups:
  • Top 5% of the class may get decent size award ($2-4K)
  • WICHE (live in a western state w/o an OD school & they may cover 2/3 of your tuition-some require returning to that state to practice or you'll pay it back with interest)
  • HPSP: Full ride from the military (all costs plus a monthly allowance) Very competitive to get, you'll be active duty military for 4 years after, & you'll be miserable if you do this for the $$
Botton line: assume that you'll be footing 100% of the bill

Last edited:
ive been offered two scholarships already and i was curious how they compared to other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
i received a scholarship from SCO for $5000/year.
My stats are 3.79 gpa and oat was a 330aa and 340ts. I was told that the scholarship was partially because i had a really strong interview.

where have you received scholarships? would you mind posting your stats as well?

I've received a scholarship from SCO for $7000/year all four years. My stats are: 3.93 GPA, 360 TS/AA on OAT, variety of shadowing experience. I also was told my interview was strong.

SCO $5000 a year
NECO $7500 a year
I have a 3.97 GPA and 340 OAT. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be going to either school so it sucks not to use the scholarships.

@123hawk4life:

im with you, i probably wont go to SCO, and im leaning towards ICO. I wish they would give out some money haha.
Where are you thinking you want to go instead of SCO/NECO?

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be going to either school so it sucks not to use the scholarships.

What are your motivations for choosing one school over another?

haha i think im going to ICO too :) we will be classmates. it has been a tough choice btw ico and sco because sco really is an amazing school but im also considering where i want to live for four year of my life and i wasnt a big fan of memphis. that being said, I am obviously really impressed with the school at ICO and i think i would fit better in chicago. neco wasnt really for me. i wasnt impressed with facilities etc.

yay a future classmate! :)

i havent officially committed, but its like 95%. im just having a hard time parting with the money haha. but i felt the same way you did, memphis didnt really do much for me at all. although, im from the chicago area, so im biased :)

haha yeah i feel like we are in the same spot. im 95% sure as well but the money :S and Chicago is close to home for me too!!

ive been offered two scholarships already and i was curious how they compared to other schools.

Don't be too concerned about how much you're offered. Doesn't matter if you're being offered $7000/yr if your tuition is going to be higher. I'm currently getting $5000+/yr, but I go to a state school, so my tuition is significantly cheaper.