Scholl 4th yr core rotations! AZ or NM or CA or MI

Started by cool_vkb
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cool_vkb

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I dont know how it is gonna be for future classes. but for class of 2010 and 2011 we have the option of doing our core rotations in any of the following cities.

1) Los Angeles
2) Albequrque
3) Phoenix
4) Detroit

Ofcourse you always have the option of staying in Chicago and doing the regular core rotation in Cook County area.

Just wanted to give heads up to future applicants and classes of 2012 and 2013.
 
Last edited:
Cool I think you are a little misinformed. The class of 2010 did not have an option in either LA or Michigan. I would also talk to the students who did their core roations in Phoenix as I have heard they are questionable at best.
 
Cool I think you are a little misinformed. The class of 2010 did not have an option in either LA or Michigan. I would also talk to the students who did their core roations in Phoenix as I have heard they are questionable at best.

we had our Clerkship meeting yesterday. this is the information i recieved.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm in the class of 2010 and can assure you that these two locations were never an option for our class.
 
ha ha then i guess we got lucky. In the meeting we were informed that the place in Detroit can accomodate ER rotation also.
 
That's not very many core rotations. At DMU we have IA, PA, MO, MI, CA, WI, TN, NM, IL, AZ, OH, MN, UT, WA, IN, OK, NJ, FL, NC, and CT. We also have multiple rotations in a many of those states. Our core rotation is 4 months at one place, I don't know if yours is different or not.
 
Sport - Being able to do a core rotation outside of the Chicago area is something new to Scholl, thus the low number of possible locations. Chicago has so many hospitals that the need for core rotations outside of the area was never necessary however, this is something that the students in the past have suggested so it is being experimented with. I also think that the increase in class size has played a role in this being an option for students.
 
That's not very many core rotations. At DMU we have IA, PA, MO, MI, CA, WI, TN, NM, IL, AZ, OH, MN, UT, WA, IN, OK, NJ, FL, NC, and CT. We also have multiple rotations in a many of those states. Our core rotation is 4 months at one place, I don't know if yours is different or not.

You guys are in des moines, what do you expect? There's not enough patients or cases to support 55 students in the city. If there were great opportunities in iowa, then dmu wouldn't send everyone out in the 4th year!
 
I see, I didn't know that it was a new thing for you guys. On the other hand it is very valuable to do a core rotation at the residency that you might want to attend and not stay in the city of your college. Unless you want to end up in Chicago. If you have a great four months then you have a very good chance of getting that residency. Thanks for the responses.