Scholl essential textbooks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

damhsoir

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Scholl just posted the first year book list...

There are a lot of "required" books, but which ones are essential? I've heard that Moore's is just an expensive paperweight, not to mention a tough read. Should I just go with a Netters/Rohens combination instead?

Members don't see this ad.

I would without a doubt get a Netter atlas and probably the flash cards too. Moore's and Grants are OK but I never used either and squeaked out an A in anatomy. I would recommend against getting a Rohen atlas. They're a fantastic resource for the lab component of the class, but you can just go to the library and get it since its on reserve a day or 2 before the exam.

I tutored anatomy and biochemistry last year and also tutor anatomy to the MD and PA/PT/CRNA students. I can tell you from plenty of experience that the anatomy notes are generally not that great. Probably the single greatest resource is the netter flashcards because they have origin/insertion/inervation/vascularization info.

A couple organizations have book sales within the first week or 2 of school so you could probably get a cheap atlas or whatever other texts for much cheaper than retail. If you're antsy I would suggest half.com or amazon.

For other classes:
Biochemistry: everything is out of the notes, I wouldn't bother with a book
Structure & Function: get one of the recommended histology atlases, otherwise a text isn't necessary
Microbiology: people like the book "microbiology made ridiculously simple" and it seems to be an excellent reference, but the notes are comprehensive enough
Lower extremity anatomy: best class you'll ever take and Dr Bareither's notes are 5x better than any atlas or resource
ECR: get whatever they recommend, especially the bates guide to physical exam
Neuroscience: I bought the Haines neuroscience book because I didn't know my head from my ass in neuro, but you can probably get by with just the notes

During P1 orientation week there will be a panel discussion with the orientation advisors regarding good references to purchase and what's a waste of money, etc.

Welcome to Scholl, by FAR the best podiatric medical school in the country!

I would without a doubt get a Netter atlas and probably the flash cards too. Moore's and Grants are OK but I never used either and squeaked out an A in anatomy. I would recommend against getting a Rohen atlas. They're a fantastic resource for the lab component of the class, but you can just go to the library and get it since its on reserve a day or 2 before the exam.

I tutored anatomy and biochemistry last year and also tutor anatomy to the MD and PA/PT/CRNA students. I can tell you from plenty of experience that the anatomy notes are generally not that great. Probably the single greatest resource is the netter flashcards because they have origin/insertion/inervation/vascularization info.

A couple organizations have book sales within the first week or 2 of school so you could probably get a cheap atlas or whatever other texts for much cheaper than retail. If you're antsy I would suggest half.com or amazon.

For other classes:
Biochemistry: everything is out of the notes, I wouldn't bother with a book
Structure & Function: get one of the recommended histology atlases, otherwise a text isn't necessary
Microbiology: people like the book "microbiology made ridiculously simple" and it seems to be an excellent reference, but the notes are comprehensive enough
Lower extremity anatomy: best class you'll ever take and Dr Bareither's notes are 5x better than any atlas or resource
ECR: get whatever they recommend, especially the bates guide to physical exam
Neuroscience: I bought the Haines neuroscience book because I didn't know my head from my ass in neuro, but you can probably get by with just the notes

During P1 orientation week there will be a panel discussion with the orientation advisors regarding good references to purchase and what's a waste of money, etc.

Welcome to Scholl, by FAR the best podiatric medical school in the country!

I heard da same thing from Temples U

Members don't see this ad :)
Get an atlas, all have their strengths and weaknesses. Look at the ones in the library before you buy, Netters is very popular, I used Clemete and liked it.

Get Bates for ECR and Harrisons because you'll use it in your second year.

Other than that, you should be fine, class notes and lecture are complete.

And just so you know, if a professor 'requires' a text book, 98% of the time the library has it. I used anatomy & microbiology made ridiculously simple for some extra help, honest though, you don't 'need' to buy any books at all unless you'd like some extra explanation.

Thank you MrFeeties and Cruton! I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy all of those books...I've already sold my left kidney to furnish my apartment! ;)