Scholl Externships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FALL06

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is Scholl's policy on exterships? I've heard everything from a min/max of 7 during your 4th year. Are externships mandatory? I'm considering buying a house in Chicago if I plan on being there for 4 years...but if I'm spending a month here and there all over the country I'd rather just rent. So....what are the details regarding externships at Scholl? Thanks forum

Members don't see this ad.

What is Scholl's policy on exterships? I've heard everything from a min/max of 7 during your 4th year. Are externships mandatory? I'm considering buying a house in Chicago if I plan on being there for 4 years...but if I'm spending a month here and there all over the country I'd rather just rent. So....what are the details regarding externships at Scholl? Thanks forum

Whether or not the school requires them is irrelavent. This is how you get to know the programs that you will interview with for residency. You also learn sometimes more information on externships that you did in school. You can always choose to do externships close to the school but this may limit your options for residency as well. Some scholl students start externing in January or their 3rd year.

Whether or not the school requires them is irrelavent. This is how you get to know the programs that you will interview with for residency. You also learn sometimes more information on externships that you did in school. You can always choose to do externships close to the school but this may limit your options for residency as well. Some scholl students start externing in January or their 3rd year.

Krab is right. Your externships should be spent at the programs that you are interested in for residency. This gives you a chance to thoroughly evaluate the program and is a great chance to get to know the residents/attendings. This is also an opportunity for the residency program to get to know you. They are always much more likely to take a student that did an externship there as opposed to a student who just interviews with them.

As far as externships at Scholl, I think they do some their 3rd year and some their 4th year. Hopefully someone from Scholl can better answer the question.

Members don't see this ad :)
We start our externships the second half of our 3rd year. There are residencies in the Chicago area, required rotations, and externships. If you have your heart set on Chicago, there is opportunity. Essentially we do about a year and a half of externships before graduating.

So is 7 a relevant number....or was that hear say? How much time do we spend in each program during externships? Thanks for your help

the number of external clerkships may vary by the time you get there but i had 3 my third year and 4 during my fourth year with one of those being a vacation month assuming you dont need to make anything up. they are all 4 weeks. if you want to stay in chicago and do your residency then i would do your rotations here, otherwise start thinking about programs you would like to visit etc. our library has a good list of programs etc in the APMSA residency handbook.

let me know if you have anymore questions

Thanks skibum that definetly answered my questions. :thumbup: