Scholl Financial aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cool_vkb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, i was filling out my financial aid papers today and i saw that the maximum we could get is $1600. and then it said that something like we students have to now limit our expenses and live on budget.

Why would i wanna limit my expenses if iam getting this much money every month? Wow! $1600 is too much for a single guy. Chicago is not Cali or NY. A good single bedroom apartment would cost me in suburbs like around $600-$750. and if i decide to share then its gonna be more cheaper like $350-400. And may be i would spend $500 on my food,etc. and may be another 100-200 on other stuff.

Over all i think $1600 is a very big amount and a single person can live luxuriously. Atleast for me, if i get $1600 i can live comfortably. But iam going to stay with my parents for the next 2yrs. So i wont be needing that much. But i was really happy to see that we can get $1600 in aid. its really awesome now if my parents threaten to kick me out atleast i know i can get support from Scholl.lol!

Ofcourse iam just speaking about single students. What do you guys think. is $1600 enough for you?

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on how you spend your $1600. I applied for single student housing, which runs around $900, and then there's food/cable(is this with housing??), and other various expenditures you never see coming :p

But yes, $1600 is living/personal expenses is quite nice...

It really depends on how you spend your $1600. I applied for single student housing, which runs around $900, and then there's food/cable(is this with housing??), and other various expenditures you never see coming :p

But yes, $1600 is living/personal expenses is quite nice...

I'm looking at Gurnee, and for a nice 1 bedroom, it looks like $800-900. So 1600 is pretty good considering food, gas, and bills.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, i was filling out my financial aid papers today and i saw that the maximum we could get is $1600.

Hey cool_vkb, when did you get your fin aid papers in the mail? I havent gotten mine yet and I sent my FAFSA in way before the March deadline. Any ideas?

btw, $1600 is alot for a single student... More than enough for me that is!!!

Hey cool_vkb, when did you get your fin aid papers in the mail? I havent gotten mine yet and I sent my FAFSA in way before the March deadline. Any ideas?

btw, $1600 is alot for a single student... More than enough for me that is!!!

Its on the Scholl's Financial Aid webpage and i recieved an email in late january from Financial Aid office regarding what forms what we need to fill. Anyways no big deal, the deadline is in last week of May (something like that) So you are fine. Do it soon though:thumbup:

Hey, i was filling out my financial aid papers today and i saw that the maximum we could get is $1600. and then it said that something like we students have to now limit our expenses and live on budget.

Why would i wanna limit my expenses if iam getting this much money every month? Wow! $1600 is too much for a single guy. Chicago is not Cali or NY. A good single bedroom apartment would cost me in suburbs like around $600-$750. and if i decide to share then its gonna be more cheaper like $350-400. And may be i would spend $500 on my food,etc. and may be another 100-200 on other stuff.

Over all i think $1600 is a very big amount and a single person can live luxuriously. Atleast for me, if i get $1600 i can live comfortably. But iam going to stay with my parents for the next 2yrs. So i wont be needing that much. But i was really happy to see that we can get $1600 in aid. its really awesome now if my parents threaten to kick me out atleast i know i can get support from Scholl.lol!

Ofcourse iam just speaking about single students. What do you guys think. is $1600 enough for you?

where did you see the $1600 amount?

$1600 is not as much as you think. If you live on your own like myself and have many bills (electric, phone, cable, internet, rent, food, gas, car insurance, health insurance, and travel expense) its barely making it. You will need to plan yourself a budget for every week/month. Also, you should consider the numerous fees, and book costs.

Also, I pay $1000 a month for a 2bdrm, which is a great deal compared to other places I've looked at.

Also, I pay $1000 a month for a 2bdrm, which is a great deal compared to other places I've looked at.

Thats a good deal do you have a family?. i remember you said you stay near Golf Rd. Do you stay in Des plaines area and near the I-294 exit?

Thats a good deal for 2 bd room apartment. do you have a family?. i remember you said you stay near Golf Rd. Do you stay in Des plaines area and near the I-294 exit?

Thats a good deal for 2 bd room apartment. do you have a family?. i remember you said you stay near Golf Rd. Do you stay in Des plaines area and near the I-294 exit?

The lowest 2 bdrm I have looked at is $750/month for about 650 sqft. The highest was $1499 for about 1200sq ft in a suburb closer to the school. My place is 1200 sq ft, with a nice balcony, kitchen, fireplace, but its still an apartment. My fiance, dog, and 2 cats live with me, so you could call that a family.

I chose not to go with the cheaper apartments, based on neighborhood, space, and integrity of the living environment. Personally, I need my own peaceful study area. I don't like to stay in the school library, thats just too much time at school. I study in my office, or Mount Prospect Library.

I live in the apartments off of golf rd. and meier rd. (in Arlington Hts, but on the border of Mt Prospect)

question: who gives out the 1600$? FAFSA? or Scholl themselves?

Can someone PM me, I need some more info on financial aid in the US, im a non-US resident, so i dont qualify for gov loans etc

question: who gives out the 1600$? FAFSA? or Scholl themselves?

Can someone PM me, I need some more info on financial aid in the US, im a non-US resident, so i dont qualify for gov loans etc

you may need to contact Scholl Financial Aid regarding alternative options. I think that will be your best source of information. :thumbup:

Thanks Tiggles and cool_vkb!!! You practically saved my life! I didnt even realize I needed to fill out more fin aid stuff other than the FAFSA until I read your posts. Luckily I completed the apps online this weekend. Man that May 18th deadline was creeping up on me!!! Once again, rescued by the kind patrons of SDN!!! :rolleyes:

gas is awfully expensive in Chicago too, so the shorter your commute, the further your $1600 will go!

Just remember, we have to pay it all back!

Thanks Tiggles and cool_vkb!!! You practically saved my life! I didnt even realize I needed to fill out more fin aid stuff other than the FAFSA until I read your posts. Luckily I completed the apps online this weekend. Man that May 18th deadline was creeping up on me!!! Once again, rescued by the kind patrons of SDN!!! :rolleyes:

ME TOO!!! Thanks classmates!

My husband is starting at Scholl this fall. We are a family of three (we have one little boy). I am just wondering if there is anyone on this board who is attending Scholl with a family of three or four and how the manage their finances. I am wondering how tight it is? And also does your husband work? My husband does have a scholarship so that should help out. Also, did you end up taking out higher interest loans? How much do your survive on each month? I know that we can receive help from family if we need it and my husband has already submitted his FAFSA and other financial aid stuff but I just want to get an idea of how and what others do. Also, if there is any husbands with wives who might be able to contact me with info on housing, etc. This is very nerve racking as we are moving half way across the country from San Diego. I feel like I should be looking at housing but I really don't know where to start as far as neighborhoods.

My husband is starting at Scholl this fall. We are a family of three (we have one little boy). I am just wondering if there is anyone on this board who is attending Scholl with a family of three or four and how the manage their finances. I am wondering how tight it is? And also does your husband work? My husband does have a scholarship so that should help out. Also, did you end up taking out higher interest loans? How much do your survive on each month? I know that we can receive help from family if we need it and my husband has already submitted his FAFSA and other financial aid stuff but I just want to get an idea of how and what others do. Also, if there is any husbands with wives who might be able to contact me with info on housing, etc. This is very nerve racking as we are moving half way across the country from San Diego. I feel like I should be looking at housing but I really don't know where to start as far as neighborhoods.

I will be starting in the fall, too. I got info from Mandy and Kim in the admissions office. (Kim is out on maternity leave, right now though :D ).

Anyway, try looking in Gurnee, Graylake, Lake Bluff, Libertyville. I have been told to stay away from North Chicago b/c the schools aren't very good.

try these websites for apartments
www.apartments.com
www.craigslist.com
www.rent.com

KHep....help me out here :thumbup:

Just make a budget and stick to it. I have 2 boys, ages 9yo and 13yo. So no need to panic. KHep has 2 little ones, too!:thumbup: You will be alright and at least you're not the student...we are.

Anywho, just make a "move plan"...meaning make a relo list. Here's ageneral list of the things that I do...but it is subject to change as things progress

1. Get house on market or decide apartment vacate date and give notice
2. Do "make ready" projects on house (clean garage, get rid of junk, repaint, get carpet cleaned)
3. Have a garage sale....make some extra cash
4. Get medical records
5. Get dental records
6. Get vet records (if you have a pet)
7. Do change of address for bills and magazine subscriptions
8. Check to be sure your cell phone and bank are in Chicago area
9. Set a date for utility disconnect at old place and connections in new place
10. Check out DMV website to check on car registration, plates, and driver's license
11. Find out schools kids will go to and call....find out enrollment info (need school records, last report card, etc.)
12. Make plans to come to Chicago to scope out housing prospects (have places you are interested in narrowed down, so that you are not running all over the place)

hope this helps...if you have a plan of action, it helps alleviate the stress. As you check things off, you feel a little bit of accomplishment each time! :D

My son is only 1 so I am not too worried about the schools at this point! But thanks for the info on the neighborhoods that was really helpful. I am planning on working and would like to live somewhere that would make the city easily accessible and also a nice preschool.

My son is only 1 so I am not too worried about the schools at this point! But thanks for the info on the neighborhoods that was really helpful. I am planning on working and would like to live somewhere that would make the city easily accessible and also a nice preschool.

You might look at one of the suburbs that have train stations as an easier and more reliable way to get to the city. Too, if you really want to work in a large city, have you considered Milwaukee? North Chicago is pretty equidistant as far as Chicago and Milwaukee are concerned. It might open up a few more possibilities...just a thought.

There is a fabulous intergenerational day care in Libertyville at Condell Hospital. I took my daughter there (just for socialization cuz I was a stay at home) and loved it; that was a while ago, but they still have a great rep.

Also, one of the best Montessoris in the county is in Gurnee. I am kicking myself for not getting my son there. If you like the montessori concept, it is exceptional.

There are a lot of great centers here, so don't fret; I'm sure you will find a place that you love for your little one. And, I know one of our classmates (CareBear) already contacted me to tell me that in her spare time, she will be doing some babysitting, so that will be good for when you and your hubby want to get out!

TXlioness's to do list looks really good. You guys who are relocating have lots to think about! I wish you all luck! Before you know it you will be settled with this all behind you.:)

You might look at one of the suburbs that have train stations as an easier and more reliable way to get to the city. Too, if you really want to work in a large city, have you considered Milwaukee? North Chicago is pretty equidistant as far as Chicago and Milwaukee are concerned. It might open up a few more possibilities...just a thought.

There is a fabulous intergenerational day care in Libertyville at Condell Hospital. I took my daughter there (just for socialization cuz I was a stay at home) and loved it; that was a while ago, but they still have a great rep.

Also, one of the best Montessoris in the county is in Gurnee. I am kicking myself for not getting my son there. If you like the montessori concept, it is exceptional.

There are a lot of great centers here, so don't fret; I'm sure you will find a place that you love for your little one. And, I know one of our classmates (CareBear) already contacted me to tell me that in her spare time, she will be doing some babysitting, so that will be good for when you and your hubby want to get out!

TXlioness's to do list looks really good. You guys who are relocating have lots to think about! I wish you all luck! Before you know it you will be settled with this all behind you.:)

My youngest son is in private school...Montessori and he loves it. He can work ahead of his grade level so if he can do 6th grade work they let him. He only a 4th grader :thumbup:

I am thinking of public school but I am very hesitant. My oldest, however, has always been in public school. But my youngest needed it b/c he needed a smaller class setting with more teacher attention. So now he is more comfortable in class.

Just trying to let you know what you may have to face. You seemed to be panicking. Good luck with your move.