School Application Fee?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joker937

UCLA SOD 2021
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really confused by this aspect of the application. I wanted to clarify this now! So, when applying for schools with the primary ADEA AADSAS 2017 application, you designate a list of schools, and when you submit, you pay the total amount. This is straightforward and it makes sense.

But after that, do you ALSO have to send private checks to each school IN ADDITION to the total you pay on the ADEA AADSAS application? Is there a deadline after submitting the application at which point the money must be received by the particular school?

I just got confused because UOP requires an application fee, and it confused me because I was so certain that they do not charge for secondary applications since they don't have one. So, I was confused why they ask for an "application fee."

Thanks, everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

But after that, do you ALSO have to send private checks to each school IN ADDITION to the total you pay on the ADEA AADSAS application?

Yep.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here joker937, I'll put the ADEA AADSAS process in concepts you can understand:

Dental schools, as well as most professional institutions (medical, dental, optometry, pharmacy, etc.), are money-laundering institutions. They realized in the last 20 years they could suck more money out of you in the application process by detaching themselves financially from ADEA AADSAS. So you pay money to send through the official AADSAS application with the ADEA, and then you pay money again (if some schools require it) for them to view your AADSAS application which you just paid for them to view in the first place. Essentially, you're paying double for a process that shouldn't cost double. And who's the joke on? The increasingly tens of thousands of applicants who give in to paying these exorbitant fees.

Welcome to the corruption of professional schools on a funding level.

Reactions: 5 users
You're correct

Okay - now I am so confused. Is the following logic wrong for what I have to pay:

#1. Pay ADEA AADSAS fee.
#2: Mail each school a check so that your ADEA AADSAS application can get received/processed.
#3: Mail each school a SECOND check for the supplementary (and the supplementary = secondary)?

Okay - now I am so confused. Is the following logic wrong for what I have to pay:

#1. Pay ADEA AADSAS fee.
#2: Mail each school a check so that your ADEA AADSAS application can get received/processed.
#3: Mail each school a SECOND check for the supplementary (and the supplementary = secondary)?

#2 and #3 are the same thing. Some schools have a secondary application and some don't but all schools will require you to make a payment. You need to look at each school's application instructions to know when to pay them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Step 1: Pay AADSAS
Step 2: Check if the school wants their own money i.e. a supplemental
Step 3: Mail them a check if step 2 is a yes
Step 4: BAM ACCEPTED

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks!!!

Reactions: 1 user
I wish this is how acceptance works!

Reactions: 2 users
Can i pay the fee now before the aadsas apps mailed out? i just e-submited the app

I paid the aadsas fee already. I am talking about the fee from each school.
You can pay if you can access the supplemental. Applications being mailed out takes a little time.

@JLT223 for SDN moderator 2016! Very active and helpful member.

Just read through this thread and I am also confused about this process. I am completely okay with paying all the necessary fees, but how do I know to send a supplemental fee to a school? I would hate to send in a ton of applications that are never reviewed because I didn't know to send a second check to the school. Where do I go to find out about these required fees? Do I just browse the schools websites?

Wow! That is helpful. So just to make sure, if it says, "After being contacted by an admissions officer, submit the supplemental application and fee," that means I should wait until after I receive an email from the school to send the money, right? ( So don't send the money when I apply). So these would be considered the secondaries/supplemental applications then?

Wow! That is helpful. So just to make sure, if it says, "After being contacted by an admissions officer, submit the supplemental application and fee," that means I should wait until after I receive an email from the school to send the money, right? ( So don't send the money when I apply). So these would be considered the secondaries/supplemental applications then?
You're absolutely right :) You'll get an email eventually (and/or a physical letter in the mail) requesting that you send them that money with the secondary.

Not sure why you all are making this complicated...

Step 1) you pick on AADSAS what schools you want to apply to. The first school has a fee of $245. Every additional school after has a $98 fee. This is the SAME for every school.
Step 2) The school that you selected in step 1 might contact you for a secondary/supplement. This could include an additional fee to step 1 and/or a specific application for that school. This is DIFFERENT for every school.

Not sure why you all are making this complicated...

Step 1) you pick on AADSAS what schools you want to apply to. The first school has a fee of $245. Every additional school after has a $98 fee. This is the SAME for every school.
Step 2) The school that you selected in step 1 might contact you for a secondary/supplement. This could include an additional fee to step 1 and/or a specific application for that school. This is DIFFERENT for every school.

See that's where my question came from. I was under the same impression as you. However, according to those who commented above (and the ADEA site), some schools expect you to send in the supplemental fee when you send in your AADSAS, so prior to receiving any email from them.