School Choice Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rg2o3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new to the forums here so I apologize in advance if I am breaking any rules or such. I am a non-traditional student and am looking for some guidance on what schools to apply to. I will be applying next cycle (June 18). Here are some of my stats:

I am a non-traditional. I joined the military out of high school and served for 5 years. I am now 26.
My MCAT is a 509 126/127/128/128
My CGPA is currently a 3.95 and will graduate at the lowest with at 3.85
My SGPA is currently a 3.9 and will graduate at lowest with a 3.82
My EC's: I have shadowing experience, I have volunteer experience at a hospital, I have my military service, I was a volunteer firefighter, I was a TA in the anatomy lab, and I am in a club here at school. I will also be working as an EMT starting this winter and will have about 4-6 months of that before my application is submitted.

I am not sure what schools I should be targeting. I have checked out the MSAR and have made a tentative list. I also am not sure if I should be applying MD or DO. I would prefer MD but am open to both. I guess I should also say that I am a NY resident. As of right now, my list is:

University at Buffalo
Upstate
Albany
Penn State
Geisinger
Creighton
Oakland
Loyola
Medical College of Wisconsin
Currently 1 decided reach is University of Rochester

I also plan on applying to these DO schools:
PCOM
LECOM
NYITCOM
Michigan State

Members don't see this ad.

Just apply and interview. IMO strategy isn't as important as interview skills. Spend a few bucks, apply, and do your damnest.

Reactions: 1 user
Repost in WAMC (What are my chances) thread. You will get more Adcom eyes on your question.

Members don't see this ad :)
Repost in WAMC (What are my chances) thread. You will get more Adcom eyes on your question.

Don't repost please. Crossposting (posting same question in multiple forums) is against the terms of service. If you'd like it moved, your friendly neighborhood mod (me) would be happy to move it for you.

You've got good data and the MSAR should give you a good jumping off point. What pieces of the puzzle do you feel like your missing in deciding where to apply or what's got you concerned/questioning?

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, thank you for the responses. This thread can be deleted if any mod sees it. I decided to apply last minute to one school and was accepted and am going to attend as I would not like to take a gap year. Thanks for the help!