School debt poll!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How much debt will be in by the end of vet school?

• $0

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • $1 - $40,000

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • $40,000 - $80,000

Votes: 9 9.2%
  • $80,000 - $120,000

Votes: 13 13.3%
  • $120,000 - $160,000

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • $160,000 - $200,000

Votes: 14 14.3%
  • $200,000 +

Votes: 32 32.7%

• Total voters

frozen_canadian

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Because there has been a lot of talk about debt lately, and because we don't seem to have many on this forum, and I want to vote in one, here we go. How much debt will you be in by the end of vet school??

Members don't see this ad.

$0? Oh to have rich parents...or have money saved up...or however else you can make it through school without debt! Congratulations. :) School (and life!) would be a lot less stressful without all these loans.

This thread makes me want to cry... :( Oh the debt.... I think I'll write a sad song about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was talking to a new grad last night. She is taking home $3200 a month (net). With a debt load of $150,000 and based on a 20year repayment plan the payments are $1300/month. That leaves $1900 to pay rent, car, utilities, eat etc etc. How do people with over $200,000 do it?She said she is finding it difficult and regrets her decision to attend vet school - mainly because of the debt accrued. Just thought I'd throw a real life example out there as food for thought.:oops:

It sounds like she's making about 50K a year. I think it's possible to make more than that as a new grad, you just have to shop around a bit. Just what I've heard from other new grads.

We've had this poll before...

Us DVM/PhD (or VMD/PhD) students usually get stipends on top of paid tuition. Some schools don't give a stipend, but it is unusual to have to pay tuition if you're in a dual degree program (CSU is the notable exception).

Of course, this all sounds well and good, but you are talking about 8 years of school - and if you drop out, you have to pay them back. It's not a secret "in" to a free ride... but lots and lots of work! But getting paid to go to vet school is pretty sweet :D

Hoodle, it was my understanding that you only get any kind of substantial stipend (meaning more than, say, 5k/yr, if anything at all) while in the grad school portion of a dual degree program (as opposed to the vet school portion). Is that not correct? I'm doing the dual degree the traditional way (which is certainly not the cost effective way to do it :rolleyes:), but in researching the various vet/PhD programs I kept seeing that you only get "paid" for the research years, and have to find other sources of income during the 4 years of vet school classes/clinics.

I also thought I read that most schools (med schools included) were moving away from paying the tuition for the med/vet portion of the dual programs? It's been a while since I looked, but I believe LSU and VMRCVM already have, and Tufts has some kind of program where you may have to pay tuition (full or reduced), depending on funding availability. Perhaps someone attending those or other schools could shed some light?

Just a heads up to anyone interested in pursuing these kinds of programs - as already stated, they are not a free ride, and are lots and lots of work, but are well worth it if you're willing to put in the time and effort! :D

At UC Davis, tuition is compensated and you also get a stipend for, I believe, up to 7 years guaranteed. This is from their site

The School of Veterinary Medicine provides financial and academic support to VSTP students. This support is contingent on maintaining good standing in the program and is assessed yearly by the VSTP Advisory Committee. The School is committed to providing a stipend that covers tuition costs and living expenses commensurate with campus standard.

During each of the Veterinary Medical School and Graduate School years the level of support is maintained. However, during the Graduate School years, part of the support is provided by research grants of dissertation mentors, University graduate fellowships, training grants, and other grants. For individual students, mentors may provide additional supplements within University guidelines.

What about leaving the country?

Hoodle, it was my understanding that you only get any kind of substantial stipend (meaning more than, say, 5k/yr, if anything at all) while in the grad school portion of a dual degree program (as opposed to the vet school portion). Is that not correct? I'm doing the dual degree the traditional way (which is certainly not the cost effective way to do it :rolleyes:), but in researching the various vet/PhD programs I kept seeing that you only get "paid" for the research years, and have to find other sources of income during the 4 years of vet school classes/clinics.

I also thought I read that most schools (med schools included) were moving away from paying the tuition for the med/vet portion of the dual programs? It's been a while since I looked, but I believe LSU and VMRCVM already have, and Tufts has some kind of program where you may have to pay tuition (full or reduced), depending on funding availability. Perhaps someone attending those or other schools could shed some light?

Just a heads up to anyone interested in pursuing these kinds of programs - as already stated, they are not a free ride, and are lots and lots of work, but are well worth it if you're willing to put in the time and effort! :D

After going through the application process, here's what I know:

Davis, Penn, and Cornell will pay your tuition + a substantial stipend throughout both graduate and vet school, for 7-8 years. Cornell and Penn are at around 28,000, Davis is currently around 18,000.

NCSU will give you a stipend during your research years and will pay your tuition for vet school, but not a stipend.

CSU gives you a stipend during your graduate school years, and gets you in-state tuition (you pay) and no stipend.

Tufts pretends that it has a joint program, but it is lying. The website is inaccurate. They are happy to work with you to develop something - the last joint degree student did it herself about 7 years ago - but there is no institutional or financial support, other than their good wishes and some curricular flexibility.

I didn't look at LSU or VMRCVM, so I can't speak for them.