School Decisions

Started by HandD42
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

HandD42

ISU CVM C/O 2014
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone else having trouble deciding which schools to apply to?

My VMCAS is done but I have not hit submit yet because I am waffling between my 4th schoool choice, either Iowa state or Univ of Illinois. I thought I was 100% decided on Iowa state until I learned their DVM/PhD program is a little amorphous and Illinois seems to have a really good one.

It is so hard to make an educated decision about schools I know nothing about except what is on their website in states I have never been too.

Sigh, whine over.
 
I'm struggling with finding a 4th school as well. I'm wavering between University of Illinois, University of Sydney, and Tuskegee.
 
You guys can PM me about Illinois, if you'd like. But, I'm a townie, so I may not have the OS perspective of the school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i totally understand what you're going through. personally, i keep wavering on upenn. before i decide to apply somewhere, i always ask myself "if i were accepted there, would i actually go?" and for upenn, it mostly seems like a "yes." That is, until i factor in the financial issues (silly ivy, so expensive!) and the fact that i truly don't know much about it, besides what i have read on their website. I've never even been to pennsylvania, except briefly in the airport. sigh.
 
I'm OOS and I almost went to Illinois, and I can tell you they have a great new program in place that I think will be really beneficial for the students as well as the profession as a whole. Maybe that'll sway you guys 🙂
 
Anyone have strong feelings about Iowa...one way or the other?

Being in MN it is extremely close and I like their Ag emphasis. Hard to tell if they have a strong equine program and I don't like their limited DVM/PhD options.
 
I really like both schools, from what I know of them. I won't be able to apply to Iowa this year bc of one prereq course, but I definitely plan to apply there next year. I worked with two vets who graduated from Iowa and they had really good things to say about the school and the large animal curriculum. I have no idea about the dvm/phd program though and I think that's the info you're wanting. 🙁
 
purplepup21, if you have any specific questions about Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, or Penn I'd be happy to answer them. I'm starting at Penn in the fall so I haven't had any classes yet, but I've lived in PA my whole life and Philly for a few months so I will do my best to answer them!