School does not give out GPAs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vetsahoyVMCVM

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

First, hope you all are doing well at this time and staying safe. I have a question or maybe somebody has a similar issue when it comes to their GPA/rank. When I asked my school if they could calculate a GPA for me, they said that they don't do that, but instead will provide my rank. When applying to programs with a GPA cutoff such as NC State and their 3.0 cutoff, how would it work with providing a rank? I hope this makes sense.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all!

First, hope you all are doing well at this time and staying safe. I have a question or maybe somebody has a similar issue when it comes to their GPA/rank. When I asked my school if they could calculate a GPA for me, they said that they don't do that, but instead will provide my rank. When applying to programs with a GPA cutoff such as NC State and their 3.0 cutoff, how would it work with providing a rank? I hope this makes sense.
Are you able to calculate your own GPA?

Reactions: 1 user
I suppose, but I would think the VIRMP would want an official statement from transcripts when it comes to reporting GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suppose, but I would think the VIRMP would want an official statement from transcripts when it comes to reporting GPA.

It's not accessible through your unofficial transcripts?

I would contact VMCAS to ask about your situation first, and then any school you are interested in (NCSU, etc).

I went to undergrad with kids from a private school that didn't have grades or class ranks, and my college clearly figured out how to evaluate them for admission. I'd be willing to bet you're not the first person with a similar situation who will be applying to vet school and VMCAS probably has a process for it that no one here will know unless they have a similar experience.

Sent from my SM-G892U using SDN mobile

I should clarify, I am in veterinary school and that my school does not give out GPAs, only rank status! I did some investigating on the VIRMP, and you simply put N/A in the GPA section, but you do place your rank.

Forgot which side of the forum I was on, sorry!

(Also didn't realize NCSU had a 3.0 cutoff for match not just prevets applying to their vet school! My bad.)

Glad you figured it out. :)

Sent from my SM-G892U using SDN mobile

My school also did not provide a GPA on the official transcript. I put N/A for GPA and N/A for GPA Based on. Class rank is probably more important in the grand scheme of things. There is no way on VIRMP to attach an official class rank letter, so I simply put the class rank, and stated on my CV that "Class rank letter was available upon request". Programs will have a rough idea whether or not a % mark on a transcript equates to a >3.0 GPA. Also, considering that certain schools evaluate students differently, the programs on VIRMP definitely take that into consideration. Most transcripts usually include a statement about how grades are calculated anyway.

From my experience with the Match, the factors that led me to match with my top ranked program were: 1) Letters of recommendation, 2) Class rank, 3) Actually spending time at the practice/CV which shows an all-around applicant