school faculty calling programs during SOAP week

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheruka

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep reading that if a MS4 ends up having to scramble, they can have the med school faculty place phone calls to the programs. I have not seen anything come from my school stating this. Is this only done in MD schools? Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

At 1:00 p.m. on Monday, unmatched applicants can begin creating their applications in ERAS. The ERAS Post Office will send applications beginning at 2:00 p.m. SOAP-eligible applicants may apply only to programs on the NRMP List of Unfilled Programs and must use ERAS to submit applications. It is a violation of the Match Participation Agreement for applicants, regardless of their SOAP eligibility, to contact programs or to have any individual or entity contact programs on their behalf prior to programs initiating contact with them after receiving the ERAS application.

^ From the NRMP email we all got two days ago.

At 1:00 p.m. on Monday, unmatched applicants can begin creating their applications in ERAS. The ERAS Post Office will send applications beginning at 2:00 p.m. SOAP-eligible applicants may apply only to programs on the NRMP List of Unfilled Programs and must use ERAS to submit applications. It is a violation of the Match Participation Agreement for applicants, regardless of their SOAP eligibility, to contact programs or to have any individual or entity contact programs on their behalf prior to programs initiating contact with them after receiving the ERAS application.

^ From the NRMP email we all got two days ago.

Ok, yep. Remember reading that. I guess the rules have changed with SOAP this year.
Thanks!

Ok, yep. Remember reading that. I guess the rules have changed with SOAP this year.
Thanks!

That is correct.

What's not clear to me from this is whether it's OK for somebody to contact a friend of theirs at a program that doesn't have a spot in SOAP to see if they could squeeze you in.

As an example, you match at Man's Greatest Hospital for Neurology but somehow fail to match a prelim. As luck would have it, your department chair is the brother of the IM PD there and he calls his brother to ask whether he might be able to squeeze you in for next year even though he's fully matched. This sort of thing used to be pretty common and it's not specifically (at least by my reading of the rule) prohibited.

That is correct.

What's not clear to me from this is whether it's OK for somebody to contact a friend of theirs at a program that doesn't have a spot in SOAP to see if they could squeeze you in.

As an example, you match at Man's Greatest Hospital for Neurology but somehow fail to match a prelim. As luck would have it, your department chair is the brother of the IM PD there and he calls his brother to ask whether he might be able to squeeze you in for next year even though he's fully matched. This sort of thing used to be pretty common and it's not specifically (at least by my reading of the rule) prohibited.

You can do whatever you want and PDs can do whatever they want if their spot is not in SOAP.

That's how I read the rules as well. But nobody really cares what I think about the rules. Not even my cat.

Well that's what the NRMP says as well, and given that it only matters what they think, that's how it goes.

That's how I read the rules as well. But nobody really cares what I think about the rules. Not even my cat.

35858857.jpg