May 7, 2012
Status
I am having trouble picking out possible schools that I want to go to and schools that will accept me based on my GPA and MCAT score. I have a 3.23 cGPA and a 3.04sGPA. They're both low, I know, but after freshman year I averaged a 3.5 GPA every term, family tragedies let me to not fully be there during freshman year, mentally and physically. So far on practice AAMC tests 7 and 8, I have scored a 26 and a 28, respectively. Looking to get a 30 on 10 and 11 when I take them in a few weeks. I am a pennsylvania resident and am not restricted to any particular region. Any incite on what schools to apply to, to give me a good chance?

OP
R
May 7, 2012
Status
That doesn't help..i've looked through them, but can't decide on what gives me the greatest chance

MedPR

Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Podiatry
I am having trouble picking out possible schools that I want to go to and schools that will accept me based on my GPA and MCAT score. I have a 3.23 cGPA and a 3.04sGPA. They're both low, I know, but after freshman year I averaged a 3.5 GPA every term, family tragedies let me to not fully be there during freshman year, mentally and physically. So far on practice AAMC tests 7 and 8, I have scored a 26 and a 28, respectively. Looking to get a 30 on 10 and 11 when I take them in a few weeks. I am a pennsylvania resident and am not restricted to any particular region. Any incite on what schools to apply to, to give me a good chance?
That doesn't help..i've looked through them, but can't decide on what gives me the greatest chance
Here's the info I compiled for myself last year. Note: this is last year's 2011-12 data.

Schools in yellow are public schools, so the state subsidizes for in-state students (read: in-state bias).
PNWU has a >90% regional bias
WesternCOMP Lebanon also has a NW bias.
NYCOM and both PCOMs probably do, too. But this may also be due to a selection bias (mainly east-coasters applying to east-coast schools to stay local).

:thumbup:

donkeykong1

7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
until you have your MCAT score. you can't really speculate based on practice tests. for now apply broadly, and put on more low tier DO schools.

donkeykong1

7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
What is considered "low tier"?
all the newer schools that opened up within the last decade (pikeville, VCOMs,...)
exception is Touro-NY (which is selective due to location).

definitiely apply to all the LECOMs

DrWily

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Apply broadly. I applied to 19 schools, and completed secondaries for 14, 6 interview invites, 1 acceptance, going to medical school in 2 months priceless

OP
R
May 7, 2012
Status
Apply broadly. I applied to 19 schools, and completed secondaries for 14, 6 interview invites, 1 acceptance, going to medical school in 2 months priceless
Out of those 6 interviews, only 1 acceptance? May I ask what you GPA and MCAT scores were like? I'm really worried about my chances

DrWily

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Out of those 6 interviews, only 1 acceptance? May I ask what you GPA and MCAT scores were like? I'm really worried about my chances
I only attended two interviews because my second interview I was accepted to my #2 school so I didn't waste any money attending the other ones.

3.14 cGPA, 2.96 sGPA, 33Q MCAT (13 ps 10 bs 10 v), had some C's and D's replaced via grade replacement. 3.3-3.9 GPAs for Junior and Senior year.

dntke1518

7+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I only attended two interviews because my second interview I was accepted to my #2 school so I didn't waste any money attending the other ones.

3.14 cGPA, 2.96 sGPA, 33Q MCAT (13 ps 10 bs 10 v), had some C's and D's replaced via grade replacement. 3.3-3.9 GPAs for Junior and Senior year.
Oh the beauty of being able to look at someone's MDapps

DrWily

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Yea, not everyone does look though.. but i'm up to 8100+ views! SCORE!