School Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rgk27

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having trouble picking out possible schools that I want to go to and schools that will accept me based on my GPA and MCAT score. I have a 3.23 cGPA and a 3.04sGPA. They're both low, I know, but after freshman year I averaged a 3.5 GPA every term, family tragedies let me to not fully be there during freshman year, mentally and physically. So far on practice AAMC tests 7 and 8, I have scored a 26 and a 28, respectively. Looking to get a 30 on 10 and 11 when I take them in a few weeks. I am a pennsylvania resident and am not restricted to any particular region. Any incite on what schools to apply to, to give me a good chance?

Members don't see this ad.

That doesn't help..i've looked through them, but can't decide on what gives me the greatest chance

Members don't see this ad :)
I am having trouble picking out possible schools that I want to go to and schools that will accept me based on my GPA and MCAT score. I have a 3.23 cGPA and a 3.04sGPA. They're both low, I know, but after freshman year I averaged a 3.5 GPA every term, family tragedies let me to not fully be there during freshman year, mentally and physically. So far on practice AAMC tests 7 and 8, I have scored a 26 and a 28, respectively. Looking to get a 30 on 10 and 11 when I take them in a few weeks. I am a pennsylvania resident and am not restricted to any particular region. Any incite on what schools to apply to, to give me a good chance?

That doesn't help..i've looked through them, but can't decide on what gives me the greatest chance

Here's the info I compiled for myself last year. Note: this is last year's 2011-12 data.

Schools in yellow are public schools, so the state subsidizes for in-state students (read: in-state bias).
PNWU has a >90% regional bias
WesternCOMP Lebanon also has a NW bias.
NYCOM and both PCOMs probably do, too. But this may also be due to a selection bias (mainly east-coasters applying to east-coast schools to stay local).

gtilr.png

NZkLX.png

:thumbup:

until you have your MCAT score. you can't really speculate based on practice tests. for now apply broadly, and put on more low tier DO schools.

until you have your MCAT score. you can't really speculate based on practice tests. for now apply broadly, and put on more low tier DO schools.

What is considered "low tier"?

What is considered "low tier"?

all the newer schools that opened up within the last decade (pikeville, VCOMs,...)
exception is Touro-NY (which is selective due to location).

definitiely apply to all the LECOMs

Apply broadly. I applied to 19 schools, and completed secondaries for 14, 6 interview invites, 1 acceptance, going to medical school in 2 months priceless

Apply broadly. I applied to 19 schools, and completed secondaries for 14, 6 interview invites, 1 acceptance, going to medical school in 2 months priceless

Out of those 6 interviews, only 1 acceptance? May I ask what you GPA and MCAT scores were like? I'm really worried about my chances

Out of those 6 interviews, only 1 acceptance? May I ask what you GPA and MCAT scores were like? I'm really worried about my chances

I only attended two interviews because my second interview I was accepted to my #2 school so I didn't waste any money attending the other ones.

3.14 cGPA, 2.96 sGPA, 33Q MCAT (13 ps 10 bs 10 v), had some C's and D's replaced via grade replacement. 3.3-3.9 GPAs for Junior and Senior year.

I only attended two interviews because my second interview I was accepted to my #2 school so I didn't waste any money attending the other ones.

3.14 cGPA, 2.96 sGPA, 33Q MCAT (13 ps 10 bs 10 v), had some C's and D's replaced via grade replacement. 3.3-3.9 GPAs for Junior and Senior year.
Oh the beauty of being able to look at someone's MDapps

Yea, not everyone does look though.. but i'm up to 8100+ views! SCORE!