School just started, and I'm already looking at next semester--should I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ConsultantMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm a DIY post-bacc student taking some upper level biology pre-requisites (which will be very helpful for the MCAT I haven't taken yet), and am wondering whether or not another semester or school will be worth it.

As an undergrad, I overloaded on classes (taking about 50% more classes than average at any given time). I had a varied desire for knowledge, but lacked focus, and it shows in my transcript. I absolutely loved it, and could survive bad grades here and there because my other classes balanced it out.

I'm afraid that I will be screened out of certain schools simply by my sGPA (although it's in the 10-90th percentile), so I'm considering full-time next semester as well.

If it could bump my sGPA up about .15-.2, would that be worth it? I'd pick classes that are valuable/relevant to the MCAT as well, which I'll take in April or May next year.

I just want to throw this out here for people with previous experience. I'm hoping not to have to go to an official post-bacc due to costs by doing it myself in this pre-req/grade boost manner I've chosen.

Please let me know what your thoughts are, I really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

As an undergrad, I overloaded on classes (taking about 50% more classes than average at any given time). I had a varied desire for knowledge, but lacked focus, and it shows in my transcript. I absolutely loved it, and could survive bad grades here and there because my other classes balanced it out.
Careful with this. I saw your schedule in the 4.0 thread, it's looks difficult. Make sure you're not overloading yourself too much (I have the same problem).

I'm afraid that I will be screened out of certain schools simply by my sGPA (although it's in the 10-90th percentile), so I'm considering full-time next semester as well.
If you're in the 10-90th percentile, you wont be screened out.

If it could bump my sGPA up about .15-.2, would that be worth it? I'd pick classes that are valuable/relevant to the MCAT as well, which I'll take in April or May next year.
Probably. From 3.0 to 3.2 absolutely. From 3.6 to 3.7 not as much.