School List: 3.88 GPA, 508 MCAT, ORM, 1st Gen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acapass

Reaction score
Hoping to submit tomorrow and just have final opinions!

To go over my profile:
ORM White
Female
First-Generation College Student (Mother is from Ukraine and dad has no degree)
State: New Jersey...15 min from NYC
School: Small public college
Major Biology & Minor in Public Health

Stats
MCAT: 508 127 (Chem/Phys)/127 (Bio) /125 (Cars) /129 (Psyc/Soc)
GPA: 3.88 (Steady above 3.8 for all 4 years) did not calculate science but probably around 3.8 due to x2 B+ in calculus I&II and a couple A-'s

Volunteer Hours:
150 hours as a hospital volunteer
~50 hours (current) + 150 future at minimum volunteering grocery shopping for elderly + disabled
~50 hours (current) + 150 future at minimum future as a CTL volunteer
10 hours organized a volunteer donation drive and Ukrainian cultural day
-> Started volunteering late as I was a medical scribe during COVID-19 and could not do in-person volunteering b/c exposure. CTL is online, but I discovered it later after a personal experience with a friend prompted me to join.

Shadowing/Clinical Hours:
Over 200 current + 200 future shadowing with a reconstructive plastic surgeon also can be clinical as I run his clinic hours, interview patients during ER consults, scribe etc.
1500+ hours as a medical scribe
50 hours shadowing in china, observed TCM, and healthcare system across university/large public hospitals and clinics, etc. also shadowed an OB/GYN while there.
200 hours shadowing a tele-radiologist
8 hours shadowing a dermatologist

Research:
150 hours of yeast genetics research - super fun doing gene/expression analysis for different strains of beer!
On the study abroad trip minor research on dietary habits and health implications in Nanjing vs. NYC
-> Lab research was put on hold till my senior year at my university bc of covid
No publications

Various fun/unique other things:
Beekeeping club 500+ hours (Club president, lectured for other courses, collaborated with Girl scouts, took care of the bees year-round)
Pre-med club VP 200 hours
Rockclimbing team 300 hours (Comp team + Leisure)
Hydroponic Farm Intern - 200 hours (Supplied food to shelters, + supported REED foundation that employed those with autism)
Environmental Science educator -200 hours (Taught about 20-100 kids a day for STEM and healthy eating programs, one program was a school bus that brought the experiences to underserved areas)
Anatomy TA for 3 semesters

In general, I did things that I loved and never for the sole intent of contributing to being "pre-med" which I think will show in my stories & interviews (hopefully :') haha) I think my ext/act and my personal statements and rec letters are good. Obviously, volunteering/research + MCAT are low points in my app.
Plan to either find a research job/med assist/teaching job during gap year... the original plan was to go to Ukraine to volunteer/connect with my culture so had to rethink the application/gap year plan.

School List: (NJ Resident):
Trying to keep it around <25 as my parents are not supporting the application process financially + burnout for secondaries.
Favored schools with MPH or Global Health Tracks. I'd also appreciate a diverse student body + east cost/metropolitan campus.

1. Albany Medical College
  2. Cooper Medical School
  3. Creighton
  4. Drexel
  5. Geisel School of Medicine @ Dartmouth (Definitely a reach/throwaway but I really appreciate their global health prog)
  6. George Washington
  7. Georgetown
  8. Hackensack
  9. Lewis Katz
  10. NY Medical College
  11. Penn State
  12. Rush
  13. Rutgers New Jersey
  14. Rutgers Robert Wood
  15. SUNY Downstate (Brooklyn)
  16. Tulane
  17. Miami
  18. Wake Forest

1. NYITCOM
  2. Rowan COM
  3. De Moines
  4. Kansas
  5. UNECOM
  6. PCOM
Thinking:
~Colorado State: Global track is really well outlined, good OOS %.
~CCOM

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Good list, but with the amount you want to which you want to apply, I would reccomend against sending throwaways.

I would replace throwaways with Beaumont, quinnipiac, mcw, creighton, slu. Or add them in addition to these

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Vox.

Delete SUNY DS. DARTMOUTH doesn't need the donation money. Treat your dad to dinner tomorrow.

Add some DO to your list as well. Suggest Cooper, LECOM, NYITCOM, TOURO.NY, VCOM, PCOM and UNECOM

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with Vox.

Delete SUNY DS. DARTMOUTH doesn't need the donation money. Treat your dad to dinner tomorrow.

Add some DO to your list as well. Suggest Cooper, LECOM, NYITCOM, TOURO.NY, VCOM, PCOM and UNECOM
Haha will do!!
Rowen's DO school, UNECOM, and NYIT are on my DO list! Will add PCOM for sure and will look at the other schools and add more so I'm more balanced between MD/DO!
Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user