School List Finalization

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pembo23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a reapplicant (Weakness) trying to finalize my school list for this cycle. My stats are as follows:

Male, Caucasian, Virginia Resident

MPH student
Bachelors in Psychology

cGPA from undergrad: 3.92
sGPA from undergrad ~ 3.8
current MPH GPA = 3.89

MCAT Scores: 31, retook for 520

Clinical Volunteering: 72 hours (Weakness)
Shadowing: 4 hr (Bigger Weakness, will probably leave off application)
Research: about 500 hours from undergrad, including Senior Thesis project, about 300 as a graduate research assistant
Paid Internship with a Tech Contractor for 3 summers
Non-clinical volunteering: over 500 hours in Undergrad ministry, about 100 hours with habitat for humanity, about 100 hours of tutoring and teaching sunday school, on planning committees for service events at graduate school
Awards and Honors: Dean's List, Summa Cum Laude, Graduate with Honors in Psychology, Graduate Research Assistantship
Artistic endeavor: 6 semesters in Choir

School List:

Reapplicant to...
SLU
UVA (instate)
VCU (instate)
GW
Georgetown

New applicant to...
Emory
Harvard (super reach, hesitant to even try)
Loma Linda
Loyola
Miami
Ohio State
Sidney Kimmel at TJ
Tulane
UCSF
Wake Forest
Warren-Alpert at Brown
Wash U

Any feedback is welcome. Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

You should apply to all your VA schools, including EVMS and Virginia Tech. Also try West Virginia and Marshall.

I have shied away from V Tech because it is private, not instate, so I gain no advantage from applying there vs. VCU, UVA, and EVMS. I applied to EVMS before, but heard nothing back. I will definitely look into WVU and Marshall.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you get IIs in your previous cycle? Particularly did you get IIs at UVA or VCU

It doesnt appear as if youve really addressed a potential weakness in a lack of clinical experience. You really dont want to have to become a 3rd time applicant with stats like these.

Did you get IIs in your previous cycle? Particularly did you get IIs at UVA or VCU

It doesnt appear as if youve really addressed a potential weakness in a lack of clinical experience. You really dont want to have to become a 3rd time applicant with stats like these.

I received an II from VCU and was wait-listed there. No II from UVA nor EVMS. And I had meant to address the clinical hour shortage this year, but I pushed it back when I rescheduled my MCAT from January to April. I figured that doing worse on an MCAT retake would be equally bad, if not worse, than not getting more clinical hours. I am currently volunteering at a hospital and contacting physicians for shadowing opportunities. I am hesitant to push back the application because three of my four letter writers have already written and submitted their letters to AMCAS and I would like to attend medical school as soon as my MPH ends.