School list for 2015-2016 application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

Premedofthesouth

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your list is a bit too top heavy, add a few new schools with lower average stats. Also, if you don't have a committee letter, PCOM requires 2 LORs from science profs and 1 LOR from a liberal arts prof. And make sure you double check if LOR from a calculus professor counts as a science professor (I don't think it does).

Hello everyone,

I'm going to be applying to DO schools soon and was wondering if anyone might help me narrow down my list to 10 or so schools. My stats and info are below as well as the schools I'm thinking of. Thanks everyone!

I'm a URM and military.
cGPA (with retakes): 3.15
sGPA (with retakes): 3.01
MCAT- 26- 10VR/8PS/8BS (going to take the new MCAT after a kaplan prep course because this score is 2 years old)

ECs:
45 hours volunteering in a military ER
20 hours volunteering with red cross at blood drives and such
200 hours volunteering as coach in community sports team
1 publication for research in database
70 hours shadowing MD (Had plenty of chances to interact with patients, not sure if this matters)
30 hours shadowing DO
ROTC all 4 years of undergrad (plenty of leadership experience)

LORs:
One from Gen chem professor
One from Calculus professor
One from MD that I shadowed
One from DO that I shadowed

Schools I plan to apply to:
UNECOM
VCOM-VC
VCOM-CC
TouroCOM
RowanSOM
PCOM
LECOM
LUCOM
MSUCOM
TUCOM-CA
PCOM-GA

Other than narrowing my school list down (or expanding it depending upon advice given here), what else can I do to increase my chances?

Once again, thanks for the help guys.

What community do you represent?

If your not from Michigan take off msu. LUCOM loves high GPA so I would take that off also

Members don't see this ad :)
Your list is a bit too top heavy, add a few new schools with lower average stats. Also, if you don't have a committee letter, PCOM requires 2 LORs from science profs and 1 LOR from a liberal arts prof. And make sure you double check if LOR from a calculus professor counts as a science professor (I don't think it does).

I can get a LOR from a biochem professor I keep in touch with as well as a literary history professor. As for schools to add do you mean schools like ACOM, PNWUCOM, and MUCOM?

What community do you represent?

If your not from Michigan take off msu. LUCOM loves high GPA so I would take that off also

I'm from VA, so I suppose Michigan would be off the list then. If that's the case then this is my new draft.

ACOM
PWNUCOM
MUCOM
UNECOM
VCOM-VC
VCOM-CC
Touro
Rowan
LECOM
TUCOM-CA
PCOM and PCOM-GA tentative

I can get a LOR from a biochem professor I keep in touch with as well as a literary history professor. As for schools to add do you mean schools like ACOM, PNWUCOM, and MUCOM?

I'm from VA, so I suppose Michigan would be off the list then. If that's the case then this is my new draft.

ACOM
PWNUCOM
MUCOM
UNECOM
VCOM-VC
VCOM-CC
Touro
Rowan
LECOM
TUCOM-CA
PCOM and PCOM-GA tentative

Touro NY/ca are kind of stat heavy. Unless you are applying to Middletown you should prob skip those and I would say PCOM ga for sure.

However if your African american you might be very competitive everywhere. DO schools seem to give a boat for African Americans but not other URMs though

Reactions: 1 user
Touro NY/ca are kind of stat heavy. Unless you are applying to Middletown you should prob skip those and I would say PCOM ga for sure.

However if your African american you might be very competitive everywhere. DO schools seem to give a boat for African Americans but not other URMs though
Awesome, thanks for the advice it is greatly appreciated.

Just as an FYI, most schools will not count a math professor as your second science letter if you do not have a committee letter.

Your ECs look bombproof.

I'd feel better if you had a committee letter, but it's not the end of the world.

URM and military? I think you'll get multiple offers. Apply early, interview early, and spend your winter taking upper division science classes like biochemistry, molecular bio, genetics.....and you'll be in great shape!

Hello everyone,

I'm going to be applying to DO schools soon and was wondering if anyone might help me narrow down my list to 10 or so schools. My stats and info are below as well as the schools I'm thinking of. Thanks everyone!

I'm a URM and military.
cGPA (with retakes): 3.15
sGPA (with retakes): 3.01
MCAT- 26- 10VR/8PS/8BS (going to take the new MCAT after a kaplan prep course because this score is 2 years old)

ECs:
45 hours volunteering in a military ER
20 hours volunteering with red cross at blood drives and such
200 hours volunteering as coach in community sports team
1 publication for research in database
70 hours shadowing MD (Had plenty of chances to interact with patients, not sure if this matters)
30 hours shadowing DO
ROTC all 4 years of undergrad (plenty of leadership experience)

LORs:
One from Gen chem professor
One from Calculus professor
One from MD that I shadowed
One from DO that I shadowed

Schools I plan to apply to:
UNECOM
VCOM-VC
VCOM-CC
TouroCOM
RowanSOM
PCOM
LECOM
LUCOM
MSUCOM
TUCOM-CA
PCOM-GA

Other than narrowing my school list down (or expanding it depending upon advice given here), what else can I do to increase my chances?

Once again, thanks for the help guys.

Do you have a committee letter? I only ask because I know PCOM will require 3 professor letters (2 science, 1 nonscience) in place of the committee letter.

Just as an FYI, most schools will not count a math professor as your second science letter if you do not have a committee letter.

Your ECs look bombproof.

I'd feel better if you had a committee letter, but it's not the end of the world.

URM and military? I think you'll get multiple offers. Apply early, interview early, and spend your winter taking upper division science classes like biochemistry, molecular bio, genetics.....and you'll be in great shape!

Do you have a committee letter? I only ask because I know PCOM will require 3 professor letters (2 science, 1 nonscience) in place of the committee letter.

I do not have a committee letter. I can acquire two science LORs easily but non-science may be a bit more difficult. Seems like I'll have to see if I can get a committee letter in that case. Thanks for the advice everyone, I sincerely appreciate it!