School list for Bioinformatics MD/PhD

Started by psf73
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

psf73

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm trying to finalize my list of MD/PhD programs to apply to this year and I'm having some trouble. My stats are okay for most MD/PhD programs but I don't think I'm a spectacular candidate. I'm most worried about my MCAT score and the fact that my graduate interests are in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology (which is a little more niche than Immunology or Neuroscience).

My stats:
A top 5 public university
Graduated with BS in Computational Biology (minors: Chemistry & Computer Science)
3.95 GPA (both science and cumulative)
35 MCAT
100 hrs shadowing
40 hrs clinical volunteering
500 hrs important non-clinical volunteering
2 publications (1 first author in medium-impact journal)
1 peer-review poster publication at national conference
2 short term summer labs, 2 year long labs, currently working full-time as a research tech
Studied abroad (and in general have a lot of unique life experiences)
Intercollegiate athlete
Relatively good at interviews (I hope!)

My current list is:
Stanford
UCSD
UCSF
UC Denver
UChicago
UMass
UMinnesota
WashU
Albert Einstein
Columbia
Tri-I
NYU
UNC
Pitt/CMU
Vanderbilt
UW
Wisconsin
Mt. Sinai

I only want to apply to 15 but I'm afraid my list is too top heavy. I've already nixed even more competitive schools that I realize I have less interest in like Johns Hopkins, UPenn, Yale, and UMich. I'm keeping UW, Stanford, and UCSF on as schools that I'd love to go to although I realize I might not be competitive for. I would also love to live in a big city (or nearby). Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!