School List Help: 3.51/520

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fish Man

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. 3.51cGPA/3.40sGPA (Strong Upward Trend)
2. 520 (130/130/130/130)
3. NJ Resident
4. ORM (South Asian)
5. Good State School (Not a "public Ivy" or anything though)
6. Clinical experience: Volunteer ~100 hrs Guiding and Wheeling patients around the hospital
Volunteer 15 hrs in ER taking vitals for triaging/helping nurses by applying BP cuffs
7. Research experience of ~1 year, one poster presentation/abstract at BMES, one intra-departmental presentation, one mid-author pub
8. Shadowing ~100 hrs
9. Various days of service with student orgs ~25 hours (cleaning the YMCA, picking up trash, foodpacking)
Volunteering at a food bank ~100 hours
10. Treasurer of Diversity Org for 1 year, Fundraising Chair of same student org for 1 year prior to that
11. Dean's List, Graduated Magna Cum Laude
Group got 2nd in department at School's Design Expo
12. Big upward trend in grades (last 4 semesters have been 3.9X), will be continuing research (leading my own research project), clinical exposure, and volunteering at the food bank through my upcoming gap year. Also did some work with EWB on trying to replace a rural town's water main, but had to leave the project partway through to focus on grades. Majored in Bioengineering.

Current School List: Categories are based on what I have read on this forum [40 MD Schools]
(Reaches that appreciate reinvention/may overlook low GPA for high MCAT [assuming I count])
Duke
Pitt
Hofstra
Dartmouth
Ohio State
USC-Keck (Engineer Friendly?)
(Top 40 funded NIH schools that I am 10%ile or greater in for GPA)
Michigan
UCLA
Indiana
Utah
Arizona
Colorado
Emory
Miami
Wisconsin
Einstein
(Targets/My State Schools)
MC Wisconsin
Tulane
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Rutgers RWJMS
Rutgers NJMS
Hackinsack Meridian (Seton Hall)
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
Wake Forest
Drexel
Quinnipiac
Temple
NYMC
Virginia Tech Carilion
Penn State
Vermont
EVMS
Carle Illinois (Engineer Friendly)
Western Michigan (Also Engineer Friendly?)
SUNY Upstate (Heard SUNYs like NJ residents)
SUNY Downstate
VCU
Nova MD

DO Schools (Not sure if necessary?) [5 DO Schools]
LECOM-E
PCOM
NYITCOM
Rowan
VCOM

I would like to cut this list down to something more reasonable (35 schools or so). Note that the lack of the low yield Boston/DC schools [and Albany, to a lesser extent] is due to me wanting to stay in the tri-state area unless a school is top 40 in NIH funding, as that may help in residency match and I enjoy research, or not low yield. If it would be wise to replace some of the school on this list with Tufts/Georgetown/BU I will do that. Thanks to Goro, WedgeDawg, and the rest of this forum for getting me this far.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you're from Utah (or Idaho and Wyoming/Montana to some extent) I would not apply to Utah.

Reactions: 1 user
40 (or even 35) schools is too much - both fiscally, and time-wise. You can be comfortable, and successful, applying to around 20 schools.

Looking at well-funded institutions is alright to start, but I would encourage you to look more at the school mission/what their overall focus is on their website. You’ll be much more passionate writing secondaries for schools that fit your personal goals, which generally translates to more success. Carle Illinois fits the bill, and Emory’s association with Georgia Tech also comes to mind. Also keep in mind in-state vs out-state preferences when cutting down your list.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these schools from your list:
Pitt
Hofstra
Dartmouth
Ohio State
(Top 40 funded NIH schools that I am 10%ile or greater in for GPA)
Michigan
Indiana
Colorado
Emory
Miami
Wisconsin
Einstein
(Targets/My State Schools)
MC Wisconsin
Tulane
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Rutgers RWJMS
Rutgers NJMS
Wake Forest
Drexel
Quinnipiac
Temple
NYMC
Penn State
Vermont
EVMS
Carle Illinois (Engineer Friendly)
Western Michigan (Also Engineer Friendly?)
SUNY Downstate
VCU
Nova MD

DO Schools (Not sure if necessary?) [5 DO Schools]
LECOM-E
PCOM
NYITCOM
Rowan
VCOM

Thanks to everyone who's replied so far for helping me out! I'll try to narrow down my list further by looking at each individual schools' websites.

@Faha Would you suggest adding TCU or some of the low yield schools I mentioned (Tufts, Georgetown, BU, or Albany)?

I have to go off to talk to some professors and volunteer for the day, @Goro could you help me in cutting my list down a bit (and maybe give some insight on my DO school selection)?

Thanks again!

Thanks to everyone who's replied so far for helping me out! I'll try to narrow down my list further by looking at each individual schools' websites.

@Faha Would you suggest adding TCU or some of the low yield schools I mentioned (Tufts, Georgetown, BU, or Albany)?

I have to go off to talk to some professors and volunteer for the day, @Goro could you help me in cutting my list down a bit (and maybe give some insight on my DO school selection)?

Thanks again!
TCU-UNT, Tufts and Albany are fine to add. Georgetown and BU are looking for applicants with many more hours of clinical exposure than you have.

Duke
Pitt
Hofstra
Dartmouth
USC-Keck (maybe)
Emory
Miami
MC Wisconsin
Tulane
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Rutgers RWJMS
Rutgers NJMS
Wake Forest
Drexel
Quinnipiac
Temple
NYMC
Vermont
EVMS
Western Michigan
Nova MD
SLU
Creighton

LECOM-E
PCOM
NYITCOM
Rowan
VCOM
Touro-NY
UNECOM
CUSOM
WVSOM
MUCOM
You need more hours of both clinical and nonclinical volunteering (> 150 hrs each)

Reactions: 1 users
Creighton

UNECOM
CUSOM
WVSOM
MUCOM

You need more hours of both clinical and nonclinical volunteering (> 150 hrs each)
Do you think it'd be wise to delay sending my primary in until I have that many hours? And how late would you say is "safe" in sending the primary?

I think the school list I'll be going with will be:
MD:
Rutgers RWJMS
Rutgers NJMS
Drexel
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth
Hackensack Meridian (Seton Hall)
Temple
NYMC
Tulane
Pitt
Hofstra
Einstein
Penn State
EVMS
SUNY Downstate
Miami
MC Wisconsin
Emory
Duke
Carle Illinois
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Indiana (Just because no secondary)
Loyola
Wake Forest
Creighton
USC-Keck
TCU
Nova MD
*SLU was not included because my GPA is <10th %ile
DO:
All that I listed + that Goro added

Final notes, if any schools not listed (such as Cincinnati, which I forgot to mention) pop out as a match for my profile, let me know. Additionally, if any of these schools seem like a terrible idea given my profile also let me know.

I will definitely spread out my apps so that I do MD first and DO second so I don't run out of time to write secondaries or burn out. Thanks everyone for the help, if I get into any OOS program consider me in your debt.

Yes to the bolded. You want to apply with the best possible app.
Late for MD is after Labor Day
For DO it's T-giving
That would be for secondary submissions though, so would an AMCAS primary submission of late July and mid-November primary submission for DO be more appropriate?