School List Help, all input would be helpful.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

d1md

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I am in need of some help compiling my list of schools to apply too. I am extremely willing to apply broadly and just like most people here, will go to whatever school takes them :) I just don't want to be naive and also waste money applying to every single school. Here is my background

• Low GPA. 3.19 cum, I believe under 3 science. Respected, competitive undergraduate school
  • Slightly above average MCAT (for D.O). I haven't gotten my score back officially, but I was scoring 507ish on my practice exams. Not guaranteeing that is what I scored on the actual test haha but likely something in that realm.
  • Very, very strong extracurriculars. Not gonna elaborate too much for anonymity sake (and also pointless to brag for strangers lol) but started a nonprofit, service, awards, etc
  • Very, very strong letters of Rec. I have 5 completed letters all from people who I know hold me with extremely high regard and are pulling for me to get accepted (science professor, DO, MD, my schools pre health advisor, 1 from extra curricular experience)
  • 4 years of mentored science research
  • Asian (which I guess is really hurting me throughout this process)
  • Resident of south
Any advice from current students, people in a similar boat with acceptances to specific schools or anything like that would be extremely appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! I am in need of some help compiling my list of schools to apply too. I am extremely willing to apply broadly and just like most people here, will go to whatever school takes them :) I just don't want to be naive and also waste money applying to every single school. Here is my background

• Low GPA. 3.19 cum, I believe under 3 science. Respected, competitive undergraduate school
  • Slightly above average MCAT (for D.O). I haven't gotten my score back officially, but I was scoring 507ish on my practice exams. Not guaranteeing that is what I scored on the actual test haha but likely something in that realm.
  • Very, very strong extracurriculars. Not gonna elaborate too much for anonymity sake (and also pointless to brag for strangers lol) but started a nonprofit, service, awards, etc
  • Very, very strong letters of Rec. I have 5 completed letters all from people who I know hold me with extremely high regard and are pulling for me to get accepted (science professor, DO, MD, my schools pre health advisor, 1 from extra curricular experience)
  • Resident of south
Any advice from current students, people in a similar boat with acceptances to specific schools or anything like that would be extremely appreciated! Thanks!
Read this. I can't recommend applying now.
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Reactions: 1 user

• Resident of south
A sub 3.0 sGPA....how far below? That could be lethal

Members don't see this ad :)
Read this. I can't recommend applying now.
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention
Totally understand where you are coming from. Still got a year left of school, taking lots of really quality upper level classes to boost my gpa etc. But it doesn't hurt to try once, obviously can't pretend like I'm a shoo in but there are people with low gpa who do get accepted into d.o schools! not common obviously, but I'm ready to apply and think i did okay on the mcat, might as well apply while I work on my gpa and graduate.

anyways... so how about those recommended schools?

Totally understand where you are coming from. Still got a year left of school, taking lots of really quality upper level classes to boost my gpa etc. But it doesn't hurt to try once, obviously can't pretend like I'm a shoo in but there are people with low gpa who do get accepted into d.o schools! not common obviously, but I'm ready to apply and think i did okay on the mcat, might as well apply while I work on my gpa and graduate.

anyways... so how about those recommended schools?
No med school in the world is doing you any favors by admitting you when you are at risk for failing out. I certainly cannot recommend any schools without an MCAT score.

Reactions: 1 users
No med school in the world is doing you any favors by admitting you when you are at risk for failing out. I certainly cannot recommend any schools without an MCAT score.
hey man I am sure you are a really smart, well qualified candidate who will get accepted to tons of schools! :) just looking for some advice on school selection, if you don't got any I'm sure there are tons of other posts to check out!

hey man I am sure you are a really smart, well qualified candidate who will get accepted to tons of schools! :) just looking for some advice on school selection, if you don't got any I'm sure there are tons of other posts to check out!

You should really listen to the advice, as he is on the admissions committee of his school.

My advice is that you should not apply without knowing your MCAT score. Additionally, with a <3.0 GPA, you will get screened out of the majority of DO schools as there is a strict cutoff for GPA/MCAT.

Having very strong letters of recommendation and means nothing when your stats don't show for it - your letter writers can say you have potential, but if you're not acing classes, then it's a moot point. The same goes for your "strong extracurriculars", in fact, it'll pose the question as to why did you spend more time doing non-academic related activities when your focus should've been your coursework.

All in all, please don't apply this cycle. By applying and likely being unsuccessful, you'll damage your chances when you apply in the coming years as you'll be marked as a re-applicant (and will have wasted hundreds if not thousands of dollars.) You should apply when your application is at its best and I'd say that would be either next year or the year after.

Reactions: 1 user

He works on an admission committee for a DO school; no better person to get advice from, particularly on a site like this where people are constantly spreading false propaganda

Reactions: 2 users