School list help (cGPA: 3.92 GPA, MCAT 516, ORM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beanspout

Reaction score
Hi everyone!! I'm currently trying to narrow down/finalize my school list - would appreciate any feedback on fit, balance between reach/target/safety, etc
  1. cGPA: 3.92, sGPA: 3.86
  2. 2nd attempt: 516 (130/128/126/132), 1st attempt: 508 (127/126/126/129)
  3. from IL
  4. ORM
  5. University of Michigan, studied Public Health, will be staying in Ann Arbor for gap year
  6. Clinical experience
    1. Geriatric nursing aide: ~550 hours
    2. Free clinic volunteer: 20 hours, continuing into gap year
    3. Hand hygiene compliance observer: 100 hours
  7. Research
    1. 1500 hours on health disparities research, looking at clinical processes in ICU (minor poster presentation/abstract)
    2. Literature review manuscript submitted on neuroscience topic, not yet published
  8. Shadowing experience: 50 hours (shadowed critical care, palliative care, ophthalmology, internal med, ob/gyn)
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. Support group leader for student mental health organization: 75 hours
    2. Committee leader for mental health project involving health department: 80 hours
  10. Other extracurricular activities:
    1. Global health project team creating medical innovation with hospital in Ghana member: 75 hours
    2. Events director for global health club: 100 hours
    3. President of public health club: 400 hours
    4. Gap year:
      1. continuing on in lab and working on more health services/disparities research: 1500 projected
      2. MA, or scribe job (still searching): 700 projected
      3. free clinic volunteer: 150 project
I had themes of prevention, chronic conditions, vulnerable populations, and primary care in my personal statement. I'm keeping an eye out for schools that have strong mission/values for underserved populations and community health.

Current list:
  1. Rush University
  2. University of Illinois Chicago
  3. Loyola
  4. UChicago
  5. Northwestern University
  6. University of Michigan Medical School
  7. Boston University
  8. Case Western Reserve University
  9. Mayo Clinic
  10. UCSF
  11. Vanderbilt
  12. Yale
  13. Icahn School of Medicine Mount Sinai
  14. Rosalind Franklin
  15. Wayne State University
  16. Oakland University
  17. Michigan State University
  18. Medical College of Wisconsin
  19. Emory University - MD/MPH maybe
  20. Saint Louis University
  21. Iowa University
  22. Ohio State University
  23. University of Cincinnati
  24. University of Pittsburgh
  25. Tufts University
  26. Indiana University
  27. University of Rochester
  28. University of Miami
  29. Albert Einstein College of Medicine
  30. Geisinger Commonwealth SOM
  31. Kaiser Permanente - unsure
Still considering...
  • USC keck - they have a primary care track there but VERY expensive school, not super OOS friendly
  • UWisconsin Madison - they have a training program for urban and public health, in midwest region

Thank you in advance for your help!! I'm looking to apply to around 30 schools

Members don't see this ad.

Rush expects far more (many hundreds or thousands of hours) of non clinical volunteering than you have. Geisinger has a strong instate preference.
Some schools may average your MCAT scores. Yale, UCSF and Vanderbilt are reaches. I suggest these schools from your list:
  1. University of Illinois Chicago
  2. Loyola
  3. UChicago
  4. Northwestern University
  5. University of Michigan Medical School
  6. Boston University
  7. Case Western Reserve University
  8. Mayo Clinic
  9. Icahn School of Medicine Mount Sinai
  10. Rosalind Franklin
  11. Wayne State University
  12. Oakland University
  13. Medical College of Wisconsin
  14. Emory University - MD/MPH maybe
  15. Saint Louis University
  16. Iowa University
  17. Ohio State University
  18. University of Cincinnati
  19. University of Pittsburgh
  20. Tufts University
  21. Indiana University
  22. University of Rochester
  23. University of Miami
  24. Albert Einstein College of Medicine
  25. Kaiser Permanente - unsure
  26. You could add these schools:
  27. Western Michigan
  28. Jefferson
  29. Georgetown
  30. USF Morsani
  31. Tulane

Reactions: 1 user
Rush expects far more (many hundreds or thousands of hours) of non clinical volunteering than you have. Geisinger has a strong instate preference.
Some schools may average your MCAT scores. Yale, UCSF and Vanderbilt are reaches. I suggest these schools from your list:
  1. University of Illinois Chicago
  2. Loyola
  3. UChicago
  4. Northwestern University
  5. University of Michigan Medical School
  6. Boston University
  7. Case Western Reserve University
  8. Mayo Clinic
  9. Icahn School of Medicine Mount Sinai
  10. Rosalind Franklin
  11. Wayne State University
  12. Oakland University
  13. Medical College of Wisconsin
  14. Emory University - MD/MPH maybe
  15. Saint Louis University
  16. Iowa University
  17. Ohio State University
  18. University of Cincinnati
  19. University of Pittsburgh
  20. Tufts University
  21. Indiana University
  22. University of Rochester
  23. University of Miami
  24. Albert Einstein College of Medicine
  25. Kaiser Permanente - unsure
  26. You could add these schools:
  27. Western Michigan
  28. Jefferson
  29. Georgetown
  30. USF Morsani
  31. Tulane
Thank you for the input!! I'm considering removing Yale and Vanderbilt in order to add some of those schools you suggested. I've heard that Jefferson, Georgetown and Tulane are considered "low yield" schools meaning that they receive a LOT of applications and offer little acceptances in proportion - would you still recommend applying to those schools then since my stats are within range?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the input!! I'm considering removing Yale and Vanderbilt in order to add some of those schools you suggested. I've heard that Jefferson, Georgetown and Tulane are considered "low yield" schools meaning that they receive a LOT of applications and offer little acceptances in proportion - would you still recommend applying to those schools then since my stats are within range?
Yes, apply to those. They receive a lot of applications but some are low stat applicants that apply to many schools hoping for an interview.

OP:
  1. Free clinic volunteer: 20 hours, continuing into gap year
  2. Hand hygiene compliance observer: 100 hours
What exactly are you doing? I don't think hand hygiene compliance is really "clinical experience." (Someone correct me.) What exactly it is... I don't really know...

Check out NHSC if you are motivated to work in underserved areas.

OP:
  1. Free clinic volunteer: 20 hours, continuing into gap year
  2. Hand hygiene compliance observer: 100 hours
What exactly are you doing? I don't think hand hygiene compliance is really "clinical experience." (Someone correct me.) What exactly it is... I don't really know...

Check out NHSC if you are motivated to work in underserved areas.
At the free clinic, I was an insurance counselor - meaning I would meet with patients and help them apply for Medicaid, prescription assistance programs, etc. The hand hygiene compliance observer I didn't work directly with patients, so probably could not be considered clinical. I was rotating across different units across our university hospital and recording observations of healthcare workers to see if they were following proper PPE & hand hygiene when going in/out of patient rooms.

And thanks - I'll check out NHSC.

Reactions: 1 user
At the free clinic, I was an insurance counselor - meaning I would meet with patients and help them apply for Medicaid, prescription assistance programs, etc. The hand hygiene compliance observer I didn't work directly with patients, so probably could not be considered clinical. I was rotating across different units across our university hospital and recording observations of healthcare workers to see if they were following proper PPE & hand hygiene when going in/out of patient rooms.

And thanks - I'll check out NHSC.
The free clinic work with insurance is non-clinical to me, but you need at least 50 hours to make it worth mentioning to me. Overall you need 150 hours of nonclinical community service showing service orientation when you submit your application.

The free clinic work with insurance is non-clinical to me, but you need at least 50 hours to make it worth mentioning to me. Overall you need 150 hours of nonclinical community service showing service orientation when you submit your application.
  2. Committee leader for mental health project involving health department: 80 hours
Could these two count towards non-clincial volunteering? I also have the 400 hours listed as leadership for being president of a public health club where I organized partnerships with nonprofit organizations on various health issues.

Could these two count towards non-clincial volunteering? I also have the 400 hours listed as leadership for being president of a public health club where I organized partnerships with nonprofit organizations on various health issues.
I think it helps you, but one can say the more important competency is campus leadership. It depends on how you discuss it, but be aware of that alternative screening.

I think it helps you, but one can say the more important competency is campus leadership. It depends on how you discuss it, but be aware of that alternative screening.
Got it - thanks for your help!