• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Site Updates Coming Soon

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

School list help for a reapplicant?? THANKS

Kenken514

2+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2019
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi folks. Reapplicant here! I'd love any advice. My list right now is too big and I need to cut it down.

major: biomedical sciences, minor: psychology, cGPA: 3.87, sGPA: 3.84, MCAT: 517

EC: RA for 3 years; 50 hours clinical volunteering; 150 non-clinical volunteering (sexual assault and domestic violence treatment center crisis line); NO research; tons of work experience in undergrad as a waitress and as a barista; TA for clinical anatomy and gross anatomy lab (one year total); TA for psych course (helped professor rework the curriculum to make it a flipped classroom style class, one semester); fitness club (CHAARG if you've heard of it); hobbies: yoga and creative writing; worked for two summers as a teachers aide for a special needs summer school; shadowing hours: 16, two specialties (reproductive endocrinologist and pediatrician)

LOR: Professor of the anatomy courses I TA'd (also dean of the college of health sciences) (took these courses previously for a grade), lab coordinator for the anatomy courses I TA'd (took these courses previously for a grade), philosophy professor I took for two semester, professor for the psych course I TA'd (previously took the course for a grade), and my supervisor for my RA position (a residence hall director with a masters degree in upper education, not another student employee)

So I'm obviously not very interested in research and definitely won't get into research heavy schools (I would be interested in research if it's the right topic and wouldn't mind if it was required in the school's curriculum)

Last year I applied to 21 schools and got 4 IIs, 3 WLs, and 1 post II R

Gap year plans: I'm looking for a clinical job (MA, receptionist, or possibly scribe), I will be doing non-clinical volunteering for a domestic violence shelter and their crisis line once they start training again, If I can't get a clinical job I'll get something like a barista job to save up some money and do more clinical volunteering (I know my clinical hours aren't great and held me back last year. I tried to work on it this past year but my volunteer work got cut short due to COVID and I missed out on like 50 clinical and 30 non-clinical hours).

Other info: I really like city life and would prefer to be in a city, I am very interested in women's health, and I am from Illinois

Alright so if you've gotten through all that info, here's my current list that I need to cut down to closer to 25. Let me know if there's a good reason for me not to apply to any of these or if there's anywhere else you think I would be a good candidate. THANKS!!!!! (PS- This is not my list from last year. I've already made a lot of changes. I did indicate where I got an II and the result from last cycle.)

Southern Illinois
Oakland University
Albany
MCW
Penn State
Creighton (II --> WL)
Drexel
Temple
NY Medical College
U Vermont
UW Madison
Quinnipiac
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
U of Illinois
U Colorado
Georgetown
U Central Florida
NY Long Island
SLU (II --> WL)
Thomas Jefferson
U Iowa (II --> R)
Albert Einstein
Dartmouth
Brown
Western Michigan (II --> WL)
U Southern Florida
Hofstra/Northwell
Southern California
U Rochester
Ohio State
U Cincinnati
Boston U
Baylor
U Pitt
Duke

Upvote 0

pdl2015

7+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2014
  1. Medical Student
I'd reconsider your Florida schools selection. UCF has an in-state bias. IIRC, FIU and FAU don't have as heavy of an in-state bias as UCF does. Careful though, many of the Florida schools are basically in a pissing contest about who can have the longest secondary app...

Baylor is also increasing their in-state TX resident percentage, and their secondary hasn't allowed for much chance to stand out in past years. I'd probably drop them.

Colorado is very OOS friendly. Make them your first OOS secondary you submit. I interviewed there, and, unfortunately was rejected, but their campus is world-class and you have favorable stats for their averages.

Consider adding Indiana. They're also OOS friendly, and being from the midwest should help you.

You should also drop Iowa. If they rejected you post-interview, re-applying won't likely change that. I interviewed at Colorado for EY19, was rejected, and never got an interview for EY20. Definitely re-apply to schools you were waitlisted though.

If you're applying Georgetown, may as well apply to GW. Both schools are great, and you're dealing with 10k of your best friends in the pool at both anyway. Both in close proximity to downtown DC and offer great education.

I'd probably drop USC. Yes, they're private, but you're competing with everyone else who wants to live in southern California.

Apply to some DO schools as well. Having re-applied several rounds and just getting my first acceptance this year, I regret not casting my net further into the DO realm in previous cycles. You'll be a doctor either way. Don't let the doomsayers in the echo chamber of SDN tell you any differently.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Kenken514

2+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2019
  1. Pre-Medical
I'd reconsider your Florida schools selection. UCF has an in-state bias. IIRC, FIU and FAU don't have as heavy of an in-state bias as UCF does. Careful though, many of the Florida schools are basically in a pissing contest about who can have the longest secondary app...

Baylor is also increasing their in-state TX resident percentage, and their secondary hasn't allowed for much chance to stand out in past years. I'd probably drop them.

Colorado is very OOS friendly. Make them your first OOS secondary you submit. I interviewed there, and, unfortunately was rejected, but their campus is world-class and you have favorable stats for their averages.

Consider adding Indiana. They're also OOS friendly, and being from the midwest should help you.

You should also drop Iowa. If they rejected you post-interview, re-applying won't likely change that. I interviewed at Colorado for EY19, was rejected, and never got an interview for EY20. Definitely re-apply to schools you were waitlisted though.

If you're applying Georgetown, may as well apply to GW. Both schools are great, and you're dealing with 10k of your best friends in the pool at both anyway. Both in close proximity to downtown DC and offer great education.

I'd probably drop USC. Yes, they're private, but you're competing with everyone else who wants to live in southern California.

Apply to some DO schools as well. Having re-applied several rounds and just getting my first acceptance this year, I regret not casting my net further into the DO realm in previous cycles.
Thanks so much! I picked Georgetown because I went to Jesuit undergrad and my PS is focused on Jesuit values. I appreciate all your insight!!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
About the Ads

pdl2015

7+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2014
  1. Medical Student
Your low shadowing and clinical volunteering hours are limiting your chances for interviews. Consider adding these schools :
Tufts
Seton Hall
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola

FAU, FIU, and NOVA MD are probably the only 3 FL schools OP should apply to. This is a good list. In fact, OP could probably drop VaTech and just apply to VCU. I forgot about Seton Hall and think that's a good rec as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

pdl2015

7+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2014
  1. Medical Student
Thanks so much! I picked Georgetown because I went to Jesuit undergrad and my PS is focused on Jesuit values. I appreciate all your insight!!
I certainly hope that helps you land an interview at Gtown then! But yeah, definitely add GW as well. Being an OOS applicant sucks, and you need to cast a wide net (and your list reflects that). As an applicant who has gone through multiple rounds and went through the pain-staking process of school selection multiple times over, I just don't want to see you miss out on some good choices to apply to.

USC, Duke, and Baylor are all dream schools. I think anyone would love to go to any of them, but realistically, despite your good grades, your lack of research hurts your chances at all three. I'd highly encourage you send your application money for all 3 schools elsewhere. @Faha had some great recs of other places to consider.

Upvote 0

Kenken514

2+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2019
  1. Pre-Medical
FAU, FIU, and NOVA MD are probably the only 3 FL schools OP should apply to. This is a good list. In fact, OP could probably drop VaTech and just apply to VCU. I forgot about Seton Hall and think that's a good rec as well.
Seton hall needs a healthcare provider LOR and I don’t have one or anyone who could write me a semi-decent one :(

Upvote 0

pdl2015

7+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2014
  1. Medical Student
Seton hall needs a healthcare provider LOR and I don’t have one or anyone who could write me a semi-decent one :(

Oh dang, yeah you're right. I'm a non-trad and work in a hospital so I didn't have issue with getting all my bases covered for my LORs, so that wasn't an issue for me.

Seton Hall is a relatively new school and their cycle has gone late into the Spring recently IIRC. You could always shadow the next 3 months and get a rec letter written for you in August, transmit the letter to AMCAS and transmit to Seton Hall at that point.

You have enough schools on your list that you may very well still be writing secondary apps and submitting them in August, September, etc.

Upvote 0
D

deleted941029

I certainly hope that helps you land an interview at Gtown then! But yeah, definitely add GW as well. Being an OOS applicant sucks, and you need to cast a wide net (and your list reflects that). As an applicant who has gone through multiple rounds and went through the pain-staking process of school selection multiple times over, I just don't want to see you miss out on some good choices to apply to.

USC, Duke, and Baylor are all dream schools. I think anyone would love to go to any of them, but realistically, despite your good grades, your lack of research hurts your chances at all three. I'd highly encourage you send your application money for all 3 schools elsewhere. @Faha had some great recs of other places to consider.

I'd say Pitt is also a dream school as well considering a lack of research. Does UCF have huge IS bias? An applicant I met was OOS with no ties at all and got accepted. Compared to OP, they had a lower MCAT but better ECs.

Upvote 0

pdl2015

7+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2014
  1. Medical Student
I'd say Pitt is also a dream school as well considering a lack of research. Does UCF have huge IS bias? An applicant I met was OOS with no ties at all and got accepted. Compared to OP, they had a lower MCAT but better ECs.
It's been a year since I did my copious MSAR trawling and research, but I want to say UCF has a substantial bias. I think OP is better off with the other 3 FL schools listed. Agreed with your Pitt statement as well.

@Kenken514 I almost forgot, but apply to UA-Tucson as well! Favorable for OOS. Not a major metro area, but it's a big college town with warm weather and my friends that have lived there enjoyed it. Plus it's not too far from Phoenix, Scottsdale, etc. Beware though, they require you submit your secondary within 2 weeks of the email notification.

edit: TIL Tucson actually has ~1million people in its metropolitan area :whistle:

Upvote 0

Kenken514

2+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2019
  1. Pre-Medical
So why do you think you weren't successful last cycle? I seem to have difficulty finding your state residency... Illinois. How did you do with your state schools?
I think lack of clinical experience was a big thing that held me back. No II from state school (University of Illinois) and I didn’t apply to Souther Illinois last year

Upvote 0

LunaOri

May 16, 2020
Somewhere in New England
  1. Attending Physician
  2. Academic Administration
I agree with dropping the research-heavy schools from your list (especially Pitt). Check the list for schools that favor in-state applicants, and weed those out as well. Replace them with a couple of "reach" schools that are not as research-oriented (maybe UVa or Vanderbilt?) Definitely add Loyola.

Upvote 0

reaction mechanisms

2+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2016
  1. Medical Student
I think lack of clinical experience was a big thing that held me back. No II from state school (University of Illinois) and I didn’t apply to Souther Illinois last year

OP, certainly try to add more clinical hours but also work on your interview skills. You received 4 II last cycle so adcoms clearly thought you were a decent candidate. How did you feel about your interviews? And have you called the post II R school for feedback on your application yet?

Upvote 0

candbgirl

15+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Why didn’t you apply to Loyola if you are familiar with the Jesuit values? Be careful of SIU. They have a very specific geographic area they focus on. If you are south of I80 you have a shot. North of I80 not so much. I agree about your interview skills. It’s up to you to sell yourself to get that A. With your lack of significant clinical experience it’s on you to prove to interviewers that you have enough knowledge of the profession and you know what you are getting into. You also have to let them know you really want to spend the next 35+ years dealing with the sick , injured and dying.
I really can’t tell from your post but have you significantly improved your application from last cycle? Is there a chance you might still get off a wait list or is that possibility pretty much over?

Upvote 0
D

deleted941029

I agree with dropping the research-heavy schools from your list (especially Pitt). Check the list for schools that favor in-state applicants, and weed those out as well. Replace them with a couple of "reach" schools that are not as research-oriented (maybe UVa or Vanderbilt?) Definitely add Loyola.
I'd argue that around the Top 30, they all value research to a significant degree so that would include UVA and definitely Vandy. Most people applying to these types of reach schools will have research so I think it puts OP at somewhat of a disadvantage.

Upvote 0

LunaOri

May 16, 2020
Somewhere in New England
  1. Attending Physician
  2. Academic Administration
I'd argue that around the Top 30, they all value research to a significant degree so that would include UVA and definitely Vandy. Most people applying to these types of reach schools will have research so I think it puts OP at somewhat of a disadvantage.
You are probably correct, so I guess the OP should pick a couple of her favorite reach schools, rather than try to select for less research-intense programs.

Upvote 0
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.