DO School List Help for DO - ORM, 3.78, 509

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StayHumble18

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Male, ORM, Applying AACOMAS only

State: Illinois

Year in School: Graduated 2019, Biological sciences with minor in Chem

cGPA: 3.78, sGPA: 3.76

MCAT Score(s): (2018) 500 (128/122/126/124)....Retake July 2020 509 (130/124/128/127)

Research Experience
-About 600 hours of molecular biology research technician experience (No pubs, no poster presentation, I was basically a research laborer)

Clinical Experience (volunteer)
-200 hours hospital volunteering

Clinical Experience (paid)
- ED scribe (started after graduation) 600 hours

Physician Shadowing: None

Non-Clinical Volunteering
-60 hours and counting Crisis Text Line, started in July (virtual volunteering)
-20 hours food packing for needy, started now in August (on site volunteering)

Other Extracurricular Activities: none

Other Employment History:
- Chemistry Tutor during freshman year
- Retail pharmacy technician during sophomore year

Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): N

Specialty of Interest (if applicable): EM, FM, IM
Interest in Primary Care (Y/N): Y
Interest in Rural Health (Y/N): N

Anything else: I have LoRs from 2 science professor, 2 non science, 1 pi, 1 MD, 1 DO

MD school list: Not applying MD at all

DO:
CCOM (in state)
AZCOM
LECOM

need more schools name that I can and should apply to

Members don't see this ad.

You could add these schools:
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
MU-COM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
PCOM
UNECOM

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Have a good day Doctor ( sometime mid-late 20’s)!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just paid you a very nice (future) compliment. I’m quite certain you will be a Dr. if you carry on as you have.

• Care
You can add the TUCOMs too and the Westerns OP, they can match your stats a bit better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why don’t you consider some of your IS MD schools like:
UIC
SIU
Rush
RFU
Loyola
Your MCAT is a little below average, but your GPA (especially science) and ECs are decent!

Reactions: 1 users
I agree , apply IS MD schools listed above.

You need to get at least some shadowing hours.....preferably at least 1 DO. Didnt you meet any physicians when you did the hospital volunteering who you can shadow with ?

If not, didnt you meet any Nurses in the hospital, who might be able to help you get some shadowing hours ?

You could add these schools:
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
MU-COM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
PCOM
UNECOM
Faha thank you!
I appreciate you taking out the time to post a school list for me, thank you !

Why don’t you consider some of your IS MD schools like:
UIC
SIU
Rush
RFU
Loyola
Your MCAT is a little below average, but your GPA (especially science) and ECs are decent!
Red Sox thanks for the reply. I feel I will be kind of late for MD schools. The way things are going for me, I anticipate myself being complete around mid September. This is the reason I am just shooting for DO schools where at least I will be on time. But again I appreciate thoughtful messages like yours.
I believe I am low stats for Loyola and Rush. Loyola requires higher MCAT and rush requires about 1000 hours worth of volunteering.

I agree , apply IS MD schools listed above.

You need to get at least some shadowing hours.....preferably at least 1 DO. Didnt you meet any physicians when you did the hospital volunteering who you can shadow with ?

If not, didnt you meet any Nurses in the hospital, who might be able to help you get some shadowing hours ?
I did meet nurses, some of which became close friends with me. The doc I worked with was able to get me a DO doc to shadow, but it got cancelled due to covid. Thank you for your reply though. Also about for MD I feel I will be kind of late for MD schools. The way things are going for me, I anticipate myself being complete around mid September. This is the reason I am just shooting for DO schools where at least I will be on time. But again I appreciate thoughtful messages like yours.
UIC is my alma mater and I would love to get in there, but some of my seniors with a MCAT score better than mine actually did not get in to UIC. o_O

Red Sox thanks for the reply. I feel I will be kind of late for MD schools. The way things are going for me, I anticipate myself being complete around mid September. This is the reason I am just shooting for DO schools where at least I will be on time. But again I appreciate thoughtful messages like yours.
I believe I am low stats for Loyola and Rush. Loyola requires higher MCAT and rush requires about 1000 hours worth of volunteering.

is the 1000 hours of volunteeringat Loyola for applicants with a gap year or for fresh graduates ?

is the 1000 hours of volunteeringat Loyola for applicants with a gap year or for fresh graduates ?
I am confident its for both. Rush is kinda known to be a type of university that reads your application only if you have at least 1000 hours of volunteering.