School List Help (High Stats, CA resident)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katty213

Reaction score
Despite all the coronavirus craziness, still trying to get my app together! Would love some input on my school list (schools to add or remove/if my list is too long). I don't have any crazy ECs, but I feel like I check most of the boxes. I'm white, CA resident, graduating from UCLA this spring.
  • 3.94 cGPA, 3.9 sGPA
  • MCAT: 524 (131/131/130/132)
  • Clinical volunteering: 230 hours
    • 50 hours in a hospice
    • ~180 hours at the local VA hospital (on pause currently because COVID-19)
  • Nonclinical volunteering: 140 hours completed, 290 hours projected
    • 40 hours as a Special Olympics coach (6 months)
    • 50 hours at a food bank in my hometown (1 summer)
    • 50 hours by the time I apply as a Crisis Text Line volunteer (project to get >200 hours by matriculation)
  • Research: 3 years in a psych lab - no pubs, but presented 3 posters at local conferences, and authored another poster and 2 symposiums that were presented by my PI at a large national conference
  • Shadowing: 45 hours (primary care)
  • Other: ran a marathon, have a part-time job as a front desk receptionist for two years (promoted to supervisor after one year)
  • Awards: won Best Abstract on one of my posters, will graduate summa cum laude
  • I'm generally a pretty good writer and I think my LORs should be pretty solid (2 BCPM, 1 non-BCPM, 1 MD, 1 PI)
Here's the school list I built based on MSAR:

Stanford
UC San Diego
UC San Francisco
Southern Cal-Keck
Kaiser
UC Irvine
UC Davis
UCLA-Geffen
UC Riverside
Cal U Science and Medicine
Colorado
Yale
Georgetown
USF
U Iowa
Chicago-Pritzker
Northwestern-Feinberg
Harvard
Tufts
Johns Hopkins
Michigan
Western Michigan
WashU
Duke
North Carolina
New York University
Columbia
Hofstra
Icahn
Einstein
Ohio State
Case Western Reserve
Cincinnati
Oregon
Perelman
Vanderbilt
Virginia

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You have a good list and should receive several interviews. You could remove Western Michigan (your stats are very high for that school).

Narrow down based on community and student support, curriculum, and clinical opportunities, and cost of attendance. You pretty much have a ticket anywhere (private in particular) if you demonstrate your fit with that program. No guarantees for acceptances, of course, but who knows.

I’d consider removing Oregon for in-state bias. On MSAR, see the “Application Policies” section and see if you fit the strong preference list.

Reactions: 1 user