School List help please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Swartzlehman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
X

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I wanted to get some final advice on where I should apply. I have the funds and time to apply to 20 schools.

Stats:
cGPA:3.55 (after two years post bacc classes at gpa 3.92)
sGPA:3.72
MCAT 36Q
Additional classes taken beyond prereqs:
Genetics, Biochemistry, Anatomy, Physiology, Pathology, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Molecular Endocrinology
Leadership: Chair of Philanthropy (planned and coordinated large and small events). UC Davis Pre Med surgical internship.
Work/Clinical: Physical therapy aide/medical aide (general practice) 1 year , Kaplan MCAT instructor
Volunteering medical: ICU, ER and Skilled nursing facility
Volunteering non medical: wide variety as I was philanthropy chair.
Shadowing: Extensive. Surgeons and family practice docs.
Research: No thank you.
State of Residence: California

My list so far:

UC - San Francisco
UC - San Diego
UC - Irvine
UC - Los Angeles
UC - Davis
Stanford
University of Southern California
Oregon Health and Science University
Case Western
Ohio State
University of Michigan
University of Rochester
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Loyola
Mayo
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Wisconsin
University of Vermont
(one more?)

Thank you for your responses, advice. I need one more school (not in the south). Also, is this a good mix? I realize it's a bit top heavy. What are some good "safety" schools that are receptive to OOS but not ridiculously expensive (>$50,000 year)?

Sorry, but that's more than a bit top heavy. I think I counted five top 20s and a bunch more just below there. Your MCAT is very good, and bringing your GPA back is impressive, but I think that with zero research experience you probably won't attract much attention from this group. Also, neither OHSU and U Wisconsin are really OOS friendly and if you're limited to 20 apps I don't think I would include either of these.

What I think you should do is get a copy of the MSAR and look under the "Selection Factors" tab for different schools. There you can see how many accepted applicants to each school had research experience -- if it's a very high percentage I would probably stay away from it. Schools with a very high USNWR research ranking are going to be interested in applicants that have done research, whether you hate it or not, unfortunately. I definitely think that with the right list though you have a good shot at an acceptance.

Hi everyone, I wanted to get some final advice on where I should apply. I have the funds and time to apply to 20 schools.

Stats:
cGPA:3.55 (after two years post bacc classes at gpa 3.92)
sGPA:3.72
MCAT 36Q
Additional classes taken beyond prereqs:
Genetics, Biochemistry, Anatomy, Physiology, Pathology, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Molecular Endocrinology
Leadership: Chair of Philanthropy (planned and coordinated large and small events). UC Davis Pre Med surgical internship.
Work/Clinical: Physical therapy aide/medical aide (general practice) 1 year , Kaplan MCAT instructor
Volunteering medical: ICU, ER and Skilled nursing facility
Volunteering non medical: wide variety as I was philanthropy chair.
Shadowing: Extensive. Surgeons and family practice docs.
Research: No thank you.
State of Residence: California

My list so far:

UC - San Francisco
UC - San Diego
UC - Irvine
UC - Los Angeles
UC - Davis
Stanford
University of Southern California
Oregon Health and Science University
Case Western
Ohio State
University of Michigan
University of Rochester
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Loyola
Mayo
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Wisconsin
University of Vermont
(one more?)

Thank you for your responses, advice. I need one more school (not in the south). Also, is this a good mix? I realize it's a bit top heavy. What are some good "safety" schools that are receptive to OOS but not ridiculously expensive (>$50,000 year)?

List is ridiculously top heavy. Without research, schools like Stanford, Mayo and SF are almost certainly out.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious why you have so many research-intensive schools such as Stanford on your list if you list your research experience as "no thank you." Perhaps you should look for schools that are more in line with your interests and replace some of these research-intensive schools.

I'm curious why you have so many research-intensive schools such as Stanford on your list if you list your research experience as "no thank you." Perhaps you should look for schools that are more in line with your interests and replace some of these research-intensive schools.

Dat prestige

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Not sure why Mayo is on there now that I honestly think about it. Small class size and cheap tuition is a plus for me but I could probably put a better choice in there. UCSF is on there for the PRIME inner city under served program as well as location and price. Stanford is on there for the location (close to where my wife will be doing her internship for vet school (besides prestige, lots of financial aid and support ). Case is on there for prestige, not the right reasons. I should probably replace.

I was thinking of adding Rosalind Franklin, EVMS, and Albany and NYMC on the list. Price is definitely holding me back though. I have no family support or otherwise for school. My interest right now is family practice. Oh well, I may just have to suck it up as far as loans go and assess my options if and when I get in.

Thoughts anyone?
how about Loyola? or Georgetown?

Not sure why Mayo is on there now that I honestly think about it. Small class size and cheap tuition is a plus for me but I could probably put a better choice in there. UCSF is on there for the PRIME inner city under served program as well as location and price. Stanford is on there for the location (close to where my wife will be doing her internship for vet school (besides prestige, lots of financial aid and support ). Case is on there for prestige, not the right reasons. I should probably replace.

I was thinking of adding Rosalind Franklin, EVMS, and Albany and NYMC on the list. Price is definitely holding me back though. I have no family support or otherwise for school. My interest right now is family practice. Oh well, I may just have to suck it up as far as loans go and assess my options if and when I get in.

Thoughts anyone?

EVMS has a pretty decent IS preference but those schools are a much better fit for your app. With zero research, I would go ahead and cross off anything in the top 30. You could still apply to a few as dream schools, but the rest should be ones that don't care as much about research and will be impressed by your extensive volunteering and high MCAT. Don't be one of those people who doesn't get in just because they applied to the wrong schools.