School list help: Structural biology

Started by ratking
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ratking

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone, I'm working on my school list and just wanted a few suggestions. I realize my stats are strong, but my research experience (which I assume is more important) has not been the most productive. I'm interested in structural biology and applying that to drug/vaccine design, particularly related to neuroscience or infectious disease, but I figure the training I receive in most labs can be applied later on to whatever specialty I end up in.

Stats:
3.98 GPA
528 mcat
ORM, FAP recipient

Research:
3200 hours: 3 years in undergrad culminating in a senior thesis, two summers at NIH, and finished the first year of two year NIH post-bac
Past experience is in behavioral neuroscience and structural biology/vaccine design.
6 posters at campus, regional, and national conferences.
Won two campus research awards to help fund undergrad research
No publications as of yet, preparing to submit 1 co-first author and 1 second author this year.

Hours:
2000 hours clinical volunteering as an EMT (also 500 hours leadership experience through helping to run this agency)
250 hours non-clinical volunteering
70 hours shadowing
Another 500 hours of leadership experience through campus organizations
1500 non-clinical employment: campus and summer jobs

School list:
UCSF
UCSD
UCLA
Stanford
UCI
USC
University of Washington
Oregon Health and Science University
Tri-Institutional
Columbia
Stonybrook
University of Rochester
University of Illinois at Chicago
Washington University

I'm hoping to apply to around 25 schools, and I would really appreciate any advice to craft a more balanced list. Thank you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad