MD & DO School List Help/WAMC: Nontrad CA ORM cGPA 3.66 sGPA 3.34 (3.63 for DO) MCAT 510

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idontsave

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
**Please do not quote**

Ended up doing slightly better on the MCAT than I had expected and am now scrambling to figure out what schools I might have a shot at.

I qualified for FAP for AMCAS, so I have 20 free applications there. AACOMAS I'm paying out of pocket so I don't want to overdo it, but I certainly don't want that to be the reason that I don't get an II anywhere.

I'll list the schools I had in mind at the bottom, but so far it is still a very thin list. Would appreciate any insight you guys can share!

1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS

- cGPA: 3.66
- AMCAS sGPA: 3.34
- AACOMAS sGPA: 3.63
- Strong upward trend: 4.0 after transfer from CC

2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown

- MCAT: 510 (125/129/126/130)

3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)

- CA

4. Ethnicity and/or race

- Asian (ORM)

5. Undergraduate institution or category

- Early Pre-Reqs at local CC
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing at private school
- Later Pre-Reqs (Physics/Orgo/Biochem) completed as online Post-Bacc during COVID lockdowns

6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)

- Registered Nurse: 1,909.5 hours on COVID-19 Response/POCT Initiative team
- Nursing Student: 1000 hours of clinical rotations
- 200 hours volunteering at surgery center including biannual free surgery days for uninsured/low-SES patients
- 24 hours volunteering at urgent care center in medically underserved community

7. Research experience and productivity

- No research

8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented

- Primary care: 30 hours
- Emergency medicine: 10 hours
- Plastic Surgery: 60 hours

9. Non-clinical volunteering

- Food coalition: 8 hours
- Birthing classes: 8 hours
- Underserved community health event: 8 hours

10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)

- 3 semesters (36h) as Peer Assisted Learning tutor for Medical-Surgical Nursing
- 1 semester (10h) as California Nursing Students Association peer mentor

11. Relevant honors or awards

- Graduated summa cum laude
- Earned Dean's list letter for every semester of nursing school

12. LORs
I had a somewhat difficult time with this, as it's been quite a while since my earlier pre-med courses and I got ghosted by two of my post-bacc professors and a former employer...

- 1 science professor LOR
- 1 nursing professor LOR
- 1 DO LOR

Tentative school list

MD (honestly most of these are just based on stats so please feel free to tell me what to add or remove)
UCR
CUSM
OHSU
UofL
MCW
MSU
Rutgers
Tulane

**left Davis and UCLA off because my living situation is not at all conducive to taking the PREview... if anyone thinks I actually have a chance at either school I could probably find a way to make it work

DO

WesternU
Touro NV
Touro CA
ACOM
CHSU
DMU
AZCOM
LECOM
PCOM
KYCOM
WVSOM

Again I am open to pretty much anywhere and appreciate any feedback you have to offer!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have a good DO list. I suggest these schools with your stats:
California University
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
UC Riverside (only if you are from that region)
TCU
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
For MD schools you need to apply this month and submit all your secondaries by August. For DO schools submit by October.

Reactions: 1 user
You have a good DO list. I suggest these schools with your stats:

For MD schools you need to apply this month and submit all your secondaries by August. For DO schools submit by October.

Thank you! By this did you mean to apply MD first and wait to submit for DO? Or would it be better to submit both as soon as I can?

Members don't see this ad :)
Mods: please consolidate with previous WAMC.
I qualified for FAP for AMCAS, so I have 20 free applications there. AACOMAS I'm paying out of pocket so I don't want to overdo it
I'm sorry if you didn't qualify for AACOMAS FAP. Fee Assistance Programs for Applications - SDN

24 hours of Non-clinical volunteering
This is still under the threshold to avoid getting screened out (suggest 150 hours). I have to see what other activities you could put under this category. I'm not too worried with clinical hours provided you didn't accumulate them as a nursing student. Your post-nursing coursework will be more weighted.

Mods: please consolidate with previous WAMC.

I'm sorry if you didn't qualify for AACOMAS FAP. Fee Assistance Programs for Applications - SDN

24 hours of Non-clinical volunteering
This is still under the threshold to avoid getting screened out (suggest 150 hours). I have to see what other activities you could put under this category. I'm not too worried with clinical hours provided you didn't accumulate them as a nursing student. Your post-nursing coursework will be more weighted.

Unfortunately didn't qualify for AACOMAS FAP because of the parental income component. Would have expected being nearly 30 and filing as independent to override that requirement, but oh well.

I was also worried about my non-clinical hours. The only other non-clinical activities I have are the 36h tutoring and 10h mentorship (both unpaid and not for academic credit), but I'm not sure if that will help.

Wanted to bump this in case anyone has any additional suggestion to add to my school list aside from those listed above.

I applied to 19 of the MD schools listed after eliminating a few of the options, so I have one more free slot I may as well use.