School List Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fakepremed212

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I posted a while ago, but I am struggling to cut my school list down to 25. My pre-med advisor told me to add more target level schools, but I am unsure which to add/how to stay at 25 schools. Also, I am not taking a gap year, so nervous about that.

1. Stanford
2. Hopkins
3. UCSF
4. Penn
5. Harvard
6. Yale
7. Columbia
8. Duke
9. Ucla
10. NYU
11. Cornell
12. Mt sinai
13. Emory
14. Usc keck
15. Dartmouth
16. Einstein
17. Stony brook
18. Uvm
19. SUNY downstate
20. Georgetown
21. Brown
22. U Miami
23. Tulane
24. Hofstra
25. Case western
26. Tufts
27. Drexel
28. Northwestern
29. University of chicago
30. GW

1. cGPA: 3.90 sGPA: 3.92
  2. MCAT: 522
  3. State of residence: New York
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: White
  5. Undergrad: Private Research in Mid Atlantic-Molecular Biology Major and History Major
  6. Clinical experience: Volunteer in one emergency room at home and one at school-250 hours total
  7. Research: 550 hours of cell biology research with a poster but no publication. 150 hours and more this summer clinical research on fusogens and spinal cord fusion-chapter in review at the end of May
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: roughly 500 because of a summer program I did last summer-Ortho, Cardiac surgery, Emergency Medicine, Internal Medicine, Pediatric ICU, Plastic Surgery, Neurology
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: im a campus tour guide for my school-50 hours, and I tutor at a local middle school leading labs for 6th grade girls in order to get them interested in STEM-60 hours
  10. Other extracurricular activities: im president of the horse back riding club at my school and participate in IHSA collegiate competitions so this takes up a lot of time; Student Advisory Council for my History Major where we work on creating programming events and bringing speakers to campus
  11. Relevant honors or awards: just deans list. also im writing a thesis this upcoming semester but idk if that matters?
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important: I really want to go into emergency medicine and go to school in california but I know thats probably unrealistic given the fact that im not from there.

Members don't see this ad.

You previously posted before: WAMC-3.9 and 522 MCAT NY resident

First pare down based on geography. Do you really want to live in the city where those medical schools are located for 2-4 years? This brings up 1A: Cost of living/attendance. Living in the Midwest is cheaper than NYC or CA, but you may get really bored. Convenience of where students live relative to the school is also important to consider.

Second pare down based on curriculum offerings: do you like PBL? How up-to-date are the sim labs or virtual technology needed? I'm going to guess with a lot more classes offered virtually, what is the anticipated technology resources required for a computer, a printer, a VR helmet, etc.? How supportive is the IT department (med-school specific team vs. university team)?

You are just trying to reduce by 5, so that should help.