School List Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guyski79

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Agree with the comment on MDApps, you are a little top-heavy given the GPA, so add more lower tier schools. Also add Irvine and Davis, I don't see them on the list.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
how about:
NYMC
Albert einstein
drexel
albany
maybe the SUNY's? you get instate tuition after 1 year
maybe mount sinai?
george washington?

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree it's a little top-heavy.

UC Irvine and UC Davis are not on there because they're just as much of a safety as Rosalind Franklin, Temple, or Jefferson. I know that there's no such thing as a "safety" med school, but I'd much rather be in Chicago or Philadelphia over Irvine or Sacramento.

Can you suggest any low-tier schools that I should add?

No offense, but your stats don't make Irvine and Davis "safeties." In fact they would be reaches given your current GPAs. You may have a tough application year, don't shoot yourself in the foot this early.

Even though you state there are no "safeties" you obviously don't believe it.:rolleyes: You have a great MCAT and come from a great school but don't think that NYMC, RF, Temple, etc. are going to gladly forgive your GPA. I can't see you standing much of a chance at Sinai (or Einstein) but if money isn't an issue than there really isn't a limit on the number of schools to apply to.

Good luck.

What are your criteria for choosing a medical school? Location? Research? Curriculum? You haven't given us any information besides your numbers and a list of your activities.

Last edited:
No, no offense taken at all. I know that Irvine and Davis are not safeties, and like I said, that's why I think I should apply to other schools where I might have a better shot.

I know that schools like Temple, Jefferson, and RF won't forgive a low GPA, but I am within the 10th-90th percentiles of their entering classes for both overall GPA and BCPM (according to the 2009 MSAR).

I don't want to apply to any schools where I definitely don't have a shot, so I'm curious to know why you think that Mt. Sinai is out of the question. Looking at the numbers in this MSAR, it seems like my numbers fit more closely into Mt. Sinai than Columbia, Cornell, or NYU. So I'm wondering why you pulled out Mt. Sinai specifically -- is there something I don't know about the kind of applicants they prefer?

As for criteria, location is very important, as is emphasis on research and the curriculum. I'm interested in international medicine, so I'm also interested in schools with international electives and exchange programs.

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate any and all advice.

I just used Sinai because I saw you had referred to it in your post. I just think that your BCPM GPA is going to be a red flag at competitive programs, which make up a significant portion of your list.

Sinai's numbers from the 2008-2009 MSAR are cGPA = 3.75, BCPM = 3.68 and MCAT = 35.1

These numbers are almost the same for all the Manhattan schools. Which year MSAR are you looking at?

Last edited:

Last edited: