School list input? (4.0/517)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Verity

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
  • State/Country of Residence: Midwest
  • Ties to other States/Regions: None
  • Year in School: Graduated in 2017
  • Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Biology major
  • cGPA/sGPA: 4.00
  • MCAT Score(s): 517 (127 / 130 / 128 / 132)
  • Research Experience: >6500 hours total. >3000 as an undergraduate (bench and clinical) including two summer fellowships, first author book chapter, middle author pub, presented >10 posters (attended 5 inter/national conferences & gave a short oral presentation at one of these). ~3500 hours paid research after graduating (currently employed FT as a lab manager). Should have a first author pub to give as an update within the next couple months (nearly done addressing reviewer comments).
  • Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer): 1500 hours paid as a scribe (ED/medical onc), 150 hours volunteering (hospice and peds inpt volunteer)
  • Physician Shadowing: 43 hours split evenly between three specialities (one being fm)
  • Non-Clinical Volunteering: >300 hours related to education (vision screening, helping at an adult night high school, and helping/teaching at various low-income schools or after-school programs). I was an elementary education major until the start of my senior year of university & teaching is a huge focal point in my application - these hours are independent of those required by my coursework
  • Other Extracurricular Activities: Member of a social sorority and held a substantial leadership position for two years, chemistry club president, active in intramurals/participated in team sports with colleagues after graduation
  • Other Employment History: >500 hours employed by my university as a tutor/TA for a bunch of different subjects, summer as a pharmacy technician
  • Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): N
  • Specialty of Interest (if applicable): Open
Special considerations: I'd like to attend a medical school outside of the midwest. I place great value on a collaborative atmosphere with a strong sense of community and would favor unranked P/F. Proximity to water and/or mountains is a HUGE plus. I am also open to DO, but am unsure if they would be open to me (specifically Touro/a couple others in CA).

School list (I will NOT be applying to all of these - I simply want input if these schools would be a reasonable pool to pull from and if I should remove any or consider adding any):
My state school
AZ (Phoenix)
BU
Brown
Columbia
Colorado
Chapel Hill
Dartmouth
Downstate
Drexel
Duke
Einstein
Emory
Georgetown
Hofstra
Jefferson
Keck
Kaiser
Maryland
Miami
Mt Sinai
Northwestern
Quinnipiac
Rochester
Seton Hall
Stony Brook
Tufts
Tulane
UChicago
USCaro
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
UC Irvine
UC Davis
UVirginia
UFlorida
USF Morsani
Utah
Vermont
Weill Cornell
Rosalind
Rush

Thank you in advance for your time & attention. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest these schools from your list:
My state school
AZ (Phoenix)
BU
Brown
Columbia
Colorado
Dartmouth
Downstate
Duke
Einstein
Emory
Georgetown
Hofstra
Jefferson
Kaiser
Maryland
Miami
Mt Sinai
Northwestern
Quinnipiac
Rochester
Seton Hall
Stony Brook
Tufts
Tulane
U Chicago
USC Keck
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
U Virginia
USF Morsani
Vermont
Weill Cornell
Rush

Reactions: 1 user
After looking at your recommendations, looking into the schools themselves, and considering location, I have (only slightly) condensed the list to:

State school

Georgetown
Tufts
Thomas Jefferson
Emory
Miami Miller
Tulane
Rush
UColorado

Einstein
Stony Brook
Hofstra
BostonU
Brown
Dartmouth
UFlorida
USF Morsani
AZ Phoenix
UMich
Keck USC
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
Kaiser

Northwestern Feinberg
Duke
Mt Sinai
Stanford
Yale

It's unfortunately still 29 schools, haha. If you had to remove ~5 (or more) because they're too out of reach/low yield/etc., what would they be? Is there a school(s) I'm neglecting that I really should look into? @Faha (but also open to anyone who sees this, and I'd be appreciative for it!)

Also, Faha - thank you so much for the time you take to give input to so many of us. I see you on so many boards and we're lucky to have you. :shy: