School list needs chopping, 3.95 GPA 503 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

givemethenews

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I am applying DO and MD this cycle. I would like to chop down my list to 15-20 schools balancing the realistic chance of getting in with giving myself opportunities at a good education. Below are my stats, below that is my list of what I've come up from recommendations with from previous posts as well as my in state schools (IL). Looking for maybe 60/40% split MD/DO. Suggestions?

- 503 MCAT (127/124/128/124) 3.95 GPA, I think a sGPA 3.87 (2 B's), and a BS in exercise science from Winona State University, MN with a minor in nutrition.
-2nd place in a research symposium with a retrospective study on CR adenoma detection rates/risks in my community. Working on publishing it now.
- Top student award in major as decided by the department at graduation
-Volunteer EMT for over 2500+ hours, 150 hours of shadowing, will pick up an ERT job soon.
- Created/directed/coached a Varsity lacrosse club for 3 years (about 1000 hours each year) also raised helped to raise $15,000 for it and expanded it into 70 kids. This is my pride and joy.
-Youth mentor for 3 years+, VP of my fraternity for a year, other small fraternity responsibilities
- 4 possible LOR- 1 great one from an MD whom I have shadowed, was an assistant coach on my team, is my research mentor, and knows me quite well. 1 from a DO general surgeon who asked to write one after I worked with him on my research and observing me coach (has a kid on the team). 2 from professors who will probably be good, not exceptional.

List. Again I am an Il resident and want to cut this list down to 20.
MD- Medical College Wisconsin, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Rosalind Franklin, Loyola, Creighton, Quinnipiac, Albany, New York Medical College, Rosemand, Loma Linda, UIC, SIU, RUSH, Vermont, New York Medical College, Drexel, Temple, Seton Hall, WVU, Henricopolis, Netter
DO- Azcom, Pcom, Nova, Ccom, KCUMB, OSU-COM, Ohio Hert.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all
I am applying DO and MD this cycle. I would like to chop down my list to 15-20 schools balancing the realistic chance of getting in with giving myself opportunities at a good education. Below are my stats, below that is my list of what I've come up from recommendations with from previous posts as well as my in state schools (IL). Looking for maybe 60/40% split MD/DO. Suggestions?

- 503 MCAT (127/124/128/124) 3.95 GPA, I think a sGPA 3.87 (2 B's), and a BS in exercise science from Winona State University, MN with a minor in nutrition.
-2nd place in a research symposium with a retrospective study on CR adenoma detection rates/risks in my community. Working on publishing it now.
-Volunteer EMT for over 2500+ hours, 150 hours of shadowing, will pick up an ERT job soon.
- Created/directed/coached a Varsity lacrosse club for 3 years (about 1000 hours each year) also raised helped to raise $15,000 for it and expanded it into 70 kids. This is my pride and joy.
-Youth mentor for 3 years+, VP of my fraternity for a year, other small fraternity responsibilities
- 4 possible LOR- 1 great one from an MD whom I have shadowed, was an assistant coach on my team, is my research mentor, and knows me quite well. 1 from a DO general surgeon who asked to write one after I worked with him on my research and observing me coach (has a kid on the team). 2 from professors who will probably be good, not exceptional.

MD- Medical College Wisconsin, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Rosalind Franklin, Loyola, Creighton, Quinnipiac, Albany, New York Medical College, Rosemand, Loma Linda, UIC, SIU, RUSH, Vermont, New York Medical College, Drexel, Temple, Seton Hall, WVU, Henricopolis, Netter
Hi all

Given that your MCAT score is circling the drain for MD schools, here is a more realistic list:
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)

Loyola

VCU

Oakland U Beaumont

WVU

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

U IL
SIU ONLY IF you're from southern IL.

Any DO school except CCOM and AZCOM