School List/WAMC URM Non-Trad Physician Assistant -> MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Etopn23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
  • 3.44 cGPA 3.51 BCPM GPA BA Magna Cum Laude Biology 2010 (UT Dallas) - Strong upward trend - .7 GPA Freshman year (2005 Fall at Baylor - undisciplined, I was placed on academic probation which I listed as an IA in my app), Straight As rest of undergrad (mix between community college credits and UT Dallas; 2 B+, one of which in an EC). This is calculated by TMDSAS. I haven't received my AMCAS GPA yet.
  • 3.82 cGPA 4.00 BCPM GPA MPAS (Masters in Physician Assistant Studies) - TTUHSC '16
  • 520 MCAT 131/130/130/129 (April '19)
  • Texas - born and raised in Dallas
  • African American | First Generation college grad | First generation American
  • Thousands of hours in ortho and family medicine as a physician assistant. Anesthesia Technician from 2010-2014 prior to becoming a physician assistant.
  • No research. I had an honors thesis I had to complete with about a semesters worth of research but I didn't mention it in my app as it's ancient history.
  • I didn't list shadowing experience as it's very old. I have done rotations in all specialties and have worked in ortho and family medicine as a PA
  • No non clinical volunteer hours. I have a wife and child. I work full time and spend my free time with them.
  • Clinical volunteering: 400 hours volunteering at Baylor Plano during undergrad - Concierge Services| Assistant Medical Consultant - Terrell Tigers Football - 2016 season
  • Awards: Deans/Presidents list multiple times, Magna cum laude, Baylor Service excellence award 2012
  • LoR: I have strong letters of rec - a professor in my PA program and 2 supervising physicians.
  • I actually had another question - I was raised in a disadvantaged household however I definitely am not disadvantaged currently. In AMCAS it asks if I consider myself disadvantaged and I didn't tick the box. My wife is also a PA and our income definitely wouldn't be considered disadvantaged.... I don't think it's ethical to consider myself disadvantaged as a result of my childhood. Am I making the correct decision here?

My current school list:

All Texas Schools Including Baylor, TCOM, and TCU
Einstein
Boston University
Case Western
Columbia
Hofstra
Emory
Howard
USC Keck
Mayo Arizona
Meharry
Morehouse
Northwestern
Oakland
Ohio State
Oregon
Stony Brook
Tufts
Tulane
U of Arizona - Tucson
UCLA - David Geffen
UCSF
U of Central Florida
U of Chicago
U of Cincinnati
U of Michigan
U of Pitt
U of Rochester
UVA
Wake Forest
Cornell

I mixed together reaches/mid-tiers/low-tier/a couple of low yields. Not sure about this school list. I feel like I reached too far on a couple of these schools. My GPA is *really* low because of my freshman year.... however my MCAT isn't bad. I'm conflicted.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should receive many interviews from your list. You do not need to apply to so many OOS schools.

Reactions: 2 users
How much of your volunteering (clinical or non-clinical) is recent?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You should receive many interviews from your list. You do not need to apply to so many OOS schools.
Thanks! What OOS schools would you recommend cutting out?
How much of your volunteering (clinical or non-clinical) is recent?
The only recent thing was in '16 with Terrell Football. My volunteer hours from Baylor are from almost a decade ago.

Thanks! What OOS schools would you recommend cutting out?

The only recent thing was in '16 with Terrell Football. My volunteer hours from Baylor are from almost a decade ago.
OK, like faha said I do think you have a strong app regardless but if you can start some sort of non-clinical volunteering to talk about in your secondaries/interviews that could help to cover your one "red flag". Even if it's just a couple hours a week it's something that could help to give you options come end of the cycle, and options are great, especially when you have a family. If your kids are old enough you could even try to find something that they can do with you. I volunteered a lot in envirobmental conservation projects with my father when I was young and it was a fantastic experience. Just think about how someone might receive "I haven't done any volunteering because I'm busy with work and family" vs. "I have not volunteered as much as I would've liked, but I've found a way to start X and even got my kids doing it with me. This is why I enjoy X". They're both probably acceptable to most ears, but the second is going to be a strong answer while the first is just getting by

Reactions: 3 users
OK, like faha said I do think you have a strong app regardless but if you can start some sort of non-clinical volunteering to talk about in your secondaries/interviews that could help to cover your one "red flag". Even if it's just a couple hours a week it's something that could help to give you options come end of the cycle, and options are great, especially when you have a family. If your kids are old enough you could even try to find something that they can do with you. I volunteered a lot in envirobmental conservation projects with my father when I was young and it was a fantastic experience. Just think about how someone might receive "I haven't done any volunteering because I'm busy with work and family" vs. "I have not volunteered as much as I would've liked, but I've found a way to start X and even got my kids doing it with me. This is why I enjoy X". They're both probably acceptable to most ears, but the second is going to be a strong answer while the first is just getting by

I'll try and find something. Hopefully sooner rather than later. Thanks btw!

Just remove schools that you would not attend if you are accepted to one of your Texas schools.
Thanks! I'll attempt this. I just get paranoid about limiting my chances of getting into a school. I sound neurotic.

I know you're busy @Goro but do you mind taking a look at my list and pruning/recommending some schools?

• 3.44 cGPA 3.51 BCPM GPA BA Magna Cum Laude Biology 2010 (UT Dallas) - Strong upward trend - .7 GPA Freshman year (2005 Fall at Baylor - undisciplined, I was placed on academic probation which I listed as an IA in my app), Straight As rest of undergrad (mix between community college credits and UT Dallas; 2 B+, one of which in an EC). This is calculated by TMDSAS. I haven't received my AMCAS GPA yet.
  • 3.82 cGPA 4.00 BCPM GPA MPAS (Masters in Physician Assistant Studies) - TTUHSC '16
  • 520 MCAT 131/130/130/129 (April '19)
  • Texas - born and raised in Dallas
  • African American | First Generation college grad | First generation American
  • Thousands of hours in ortho and family medicine as a physician assistant. Anesthesia Technician from 2010-2014 prior to becoming a physician assistant.
  • No research. I had an honors thesis I had to complete with about a semesters worth of research but I didn't mention it in my app as it's ancient history.
  • I didn't list shadowing experience as it's very old. I have done rotations in all specialties and have worked in ortho and family medicine as a PA
  • No non clinical volunteer hours. I have a wife and child. I work full time and spend my free time with them.
  • Clinical volunteering: 400 hours volunteering at Baylor Plano during undergrad - Concierge Services| Assistant Medical Consultant - Terrell Tigers Football - 2016 season
  • Awards: Deans/Presidents list multiple times, Magna cum laude, Baylor Service excellence award 2012
  • LoR: I have strong letters of rec - a professor in my PA program and 2 supervising physicians.
  • I actually had another question - I was raised in a disadvantaged household however I definitely am not disadvantaged currently. In AMCAS it asks if I consider myself disadvantaged and I didn't tick the box. My wife is also a PA and our income definitely wouldn't be considered disadvantaged.... I don't think it's ethical to consider myself disadvantaged as a result of my childhood. Am I making the correct decision here?

My current school list:

All Texas Schools Including Baylor, TCOM, and TCU
Einstein
Boston University
Case Western
Columbia
Hofstra
Emory
Howard
USC Keck
Mayo Arizona
Meharry
Morehouse
Northwestern
Oakland
Ohio State
Oregon
Stony Brook
Tufts
Tulane
U of Arizona - Tucson
UCLA - David Geffen
UCSF
U of Central Florida
U of Chicago
U of Cincinnati
U of Michigan
U of Pitt
U of Rochester
UVA
Wake Forest
Cornell

I mixed together reaches/mid-tiers/low-tier/a couple of low yields. Not sure about this school list. I feel like I reached too far on a couple of these schools. My GPA is *really* low because of my freshman year.... however my MCAT isn't bad. I'm conflicted.
You're Platinum. Have the Texas schools at the top of your list starting with Baylor and UT Southwestern, then any other school out of Texas that you were really interested in attending.

Reactions: 1 user
You're Platinum. Have the Texas schools at the top of your list starting with Baylor and UT Southwestern, then any other school out of Texas that you were really interested in attending.
Thank you so much!