School Project

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ploofafa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
*Before I state / request anything, let it be known that I am still in High School.*

Alright, it is the second semester; one semester 'till the end of the school year, right? Well... yes, but it is also the portion of the year where all of your knowledge is put to the test, by every teacher, at once. :p So, I have like 10 projects, none of which have me worried, really, except for one (which is why I am here).

We were given the assignment of coming up with a question, of which we must relay information about for 20 minutes to the class, about our chosen pathway. Seeing as I would like to immerse myself within the field of Veterinary Medicine, I came here to delve for information (but I am drawing a blank)! Thus, leading to my question: What is one topic that contains information of this field, on which I may speak of for 20(+) minutes about to a class of severely uninterested Seniors? Some examples of questions for misc. other pathways are as such: "How should a teenager start an investment portfolio? / As a mental health counselor, what are the danger signs of you would look for to see if a person needs help?"

I appreciate any help you forum-goers can provide, and thank you dearly for it. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Well I reckon most folks there will have a pet so you could do something like 'the role of pets (companion animals to sound official-like) in our society?' or something along those lines.

How about the human-animal bond and what activites are available to further it; like agility, fly ball, therapy pet, etc.

Or, you could go with zoonotic exposure with a bunch of graphics.

Or, odd things vets remove from pets.

Members don't see this ad :)
Amazing suggestions; I am contemplating using all of them. :p Could you elaborate on Zoonotic exposure?

Zoonotic = transmissible from animals to humans and vice versa. There's a TON of material right there and lots of graphic stuff to interest 'bored seniors'. Big ass worm hanging out of your leg (can't remember the name of the offender atm though)? Cutaneous larval migrans (Toxocara canis)? Stuff like that.

Exhibit A
8b09fa00-7f00-0001-6f77-053ca7508517.jpg

That's a roundworm doing that and the red lines are the path it's taken while trying to find the path to where it wants to be. Cutaneous, visceral, and ocular migrans are as bad as it gets in humans. At least, from Toxocara canis that is.

Or, odd things vets remove from pets.

I second this one. Plus, what high school senior doesn't enjoy hearing about pulling dimebags out of dogs?

"Uh, I don't know where those came from!" :laugh:

I recently did a presentation on the overpopulation of pets in shelters in our country, and a "how to" be a responsible dog owner (ie, where to get your dog, the basics of owning and what exactly that commitment entails (emotional/physical/financial).

Basically, I started off with statistics for "kill shelters," and made my way into how you can "help save one" by being a responsible owner.

You could try something like that if it's a topic you're interested in. My presentation was about 25 minutes, and I still ended up having to cut myself short---I could have gone on all day!

BTW, HopefulAg, yummy picture, lol.