School Psychologist Dress Code???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychsRus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So Im a first year female student in a School Psychology program and I fell into a discussion in one of my classes concerning the "proper" dress code for a school psychologist in the schools. I was under the impression that they wear suits or look somewhat professional. Maybe not dark suits, but professional wear. Many of the sp's I've met in schools look this way. Im assuming because they are always meeting with parents, administrators and so on..
A professor in my assessment class said that it would be inappropriate for an Sp to wear a suit and that it may appear "threatening" to children especially during the testing situation which may have an effect how well they are able to do. Personally I believe it is more important for the school psych to make the child comfortable through his or her personality and ability to build rapport with the child.

What do you think about this? Is there a specific dress code for SP's or can they be as casual or as formal as they want to look? Would it be different if a student was working for an elementary school vs. high school?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
(I'm answering in regards to female attire!) From what I've gotten, it's usually dress pants with a sweater or nice top. Footwear has ranged from sandals to heels. I would also feel comfortable wearing a dress or separates with appropriate footwear (and tights during the winter).

I think attire mimics teacher's attire, maybe sometimes a touch dressier depending on what the day entails (such as meeting with parents, administrators). It's not a suit type job.

Members don't see this ad :)
Top 10 things not to wear.

1. Catholic School Girl outfit.
2. Wife Beater T-Shirt and Jeans.
3. Anything Mesh
4. Fishnets
5. Clear Spiked Stripper Heels.
6. Tongue Rings
7. Anything that might be referred to as 'Bling' or a 'Grill'.
8. Flannel Lumberjack Shirts
9. A spiked collar, or other bondage accessories (See Michelle Obama's belt today.)
10. Your favorite little black dress, yes that one... it's inappropriate.

Mark

LOL I first read that list as the top 10 things TO wear. Wish I had a school psychologist like that, ha.

Thanks for the responses. It makes better sense to me know. So if I school psychologist does decide to wear a suit, would it be frowned upon or seen as inappropriate by students and staff?

Thanks for the responses. It makes better sense to me know. So if I school psychologist does decide to wear a suit, would it be frowned upon or seen as inappropriate by students and staff?

in NYC, not so much. in Cowtown, AL, i reckon so.

I'm still laughing over Mark's suggestion not to wear fishnets and stripper heels. There goes half my wardrobe...

I'm still laughing over Mark's suggestion not to wear fishnets and stripper heels. There goes half my wardrobe...
I did some of the interviewing on interview day at my program and I've seen people wear the little black dress, wicked high heels, and other things that didn't really "fit" on an interview. As for the tongue piercing....that's a personal preference, though the other things on the list definitely deserve to be there.

Just dress professionally. Try not to concern yourself too much with things like this. Otherwise, you will be the one needing therapy!

Hi everyone!

So Im a first year female student in a School Psychology program and I fell into a discussion in one of my classes concerning the "proper" dress code for a school psychologist in the schools. I was under the impression that they wear suits or look somewhat professional. Maybe not dark suits, but professional wear. Many of the sp's I've met in schools look this way. Im assuming because they are always meeting with parents, administrators and so on..
A professor in my assessment class said that it would be inappropriate for an Sp to wear a suit and that it may appear "threatening" to children especially during the testing situation which may have an effect how well they are able to do. Personally I believe it is more important for the school psych to make the child comfortable through his or her personality and ability to build rapport with the child.

What do you think about this? Is there a specific dress code for SP's or can they be as casual or as formal as they want to look? Would it be different if a student was working for an elementary school vs. high school?