School Psychology Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

billybob2

Reaction score
Hello!

I am switching my aim from Clinical Psychology to School Psychology and would love anyone's input on what schools are looking for on a School Psychology application....EdS or PhD/EdS vs PhD if you have that insight!

Thank you!!

**Just adding on, I guess other than the obvious things like a good GPA, and an undergrad history in psychology...those are really a given!

Members don't see this ad.

As someone with a doctorate degree in school psychology, why switch interest from clinical to school psych?

Reactions: 2 users
As someone with a doctorate degree in school psychology, why switch interest from clinical to school psych?
Sorry, I was unclear in my OG post...I do not have a doctorate! I was planning to pursue Clinical psych in undergrad but with some real-world experience under my belt and just understanding myself more, I am switching my goal to School Psych. So I am in the post-grad, applying to grad programs stage. Sorry, that was written poorly originally!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, I was unclear in my OG post...I do not have a doctorate! I was planning to pursue Clinical psych in undergrad but with some real-world experience under my belt and just understanding myself more, I am switching my goal to School Psych. So I am in the post-grad, applying to grad programs stage. Sorry, that was written poorly originally!
No, but I'm wondering why you're switching your focus from clinical to school psych for grad schools.

No, but I'm wondering why you're switching your focus from clinical to school psych for grad schools.
A lot of reasons really! I have a younger sibling who was diagnosed with autism and just have seen how much understanding their diagnoses has made them be able to tackle their education better, and the positive impact the School Psychologist had on them. I am also not really interested in research, I like to read it and stay up to date don't get me wrong! But it is not my main interest which is important for Clinical Psych. I also have been teaching young children on the side (I have a background in ballet so not school ed) since I was a teenager and the joy working with children gives me is amazing. I also just have a passion for education, specifically public education. I come from a long line of teachers, principals, phonic experts, supertintents...you name it we love public ed in my family tree lol. Logistically I have also seen the real long-term benefits of working in public ed.

A lot of reasons really! I have a younger sibling who was diagnosed with autism and just have seen how much understanding their diagnoses has made them be able to tackle their education better, and the positive impact the School Psychologist had on them. I am also not really interested in research, I like to read it and stay up to date don't get me wrong! But it is not my main interest which is important for Clinical Psych. I also have been teaching young children on the side (I have a background in ballet so not school ed) since I was a teenager and the joy working with children gives me is amazing. I also just have a passion for education, specifically public education. I come from a long line of teachers, principals, phonic experts, supertintents...you name it we love public ed in my family tree lol. Logistically I have also seen the real long-term benefits of working in public ed.
Wonderful. I was worried that you were what I call the "clinical psychology reject" who falls back on School Psych - which leads to a miserable life. I'd suggest keeping your disinterest in research quiet - you gotta talk that up to be competitive for a doc program. I think you make a strong case with what you've written about this already.

Reactions: 1 users
Wonderful. I was worried that you were what I call the "clinical psychology reject" who falls back on School Psych - which leads to a miserable life. I'd suggest keeping your disinterest in research quiet - you gotta talk that up to be competitive for a doc program. I think you make a strong case with what you've written about this already.
Yes, I will! I can act interested enough in research because I truly do enjoy the results...I just don't want to be the one creating them long term!

For school psych would you say there are any jobs or experiences that look best on applications?

Reactions: 1 user
I also have a school psych Ph.D.. School psych programs tend to be less competitive than clinical psych programs. The jobs you listed are good, especially if you've got a good GPA & good GRE score. Make sure you have at least one letter of rec from an undergrad psych professor w/ a Ph.D.. As others said- be sure to talk about research b/c that's important for a Ph.D. Getting undergrad research experience- even just helping with a professor's research- can also be really good.

For a Ph.D.- This might be obvious- but try to get into a strong program. If I could talk to a younger me, I would say don't doubt yourself. It can be hard to get an apa accredited internship as a school psych, so you want to come from a strong program and ideally a program that offers experiences outside of the schools. You're interested in schools so some experiences in schools is good, but my program was pretty much exclusively practicums in schools which limited my options.

I also have a school psych Ph.D.. School psych programs tend to be less competitive than clinical psych programs. The jobs you listed are good, especially if you've got a good GPA & good GRE score. Make sure you have at least one letter of rec from an undergrad psych professor w/ a Ph.D.. As others said- be sure to talk about research b/c that's important for a Ph.D. Getting undergrad research experience- even just helping with a professor's research- can also be really good.

For a Ph.D.- This might be obvious- but try to get into a strong program. If I could talk to a younger me, I would say don't doubt yourself. It can be hard to get an apa accredited internship as a school psych, so you want to come from a strong program and ideally a program that offers experiences outside of the schools. You're interested in schools so some experiences in schools is good, but my program was pretty much exclusively practicums in schools which limited my options.
Thank you for your response! That is all great info to make note of, thank you!

I am torn between going for a Ph.D. now, or an EdS and then working toward a Ph.D. one day.....There is a very reputable (and affordable) EdS at the school I already live by/my spouse works for. I currently have a very unrelated job to just pay the bills so I considering trying to get a paraprofessional role (I checked and other are several pre-k and special ed openings) in the school system to show on my application my interests. If anyone has any thoughts or opinions on that I would love to hear it!

Thank you for your response! That is all great info to make note of, thank you!

I am torn between going for a Ph.D. now, or an EdS and then working toward a Ph.D. one day.....There is a very reputable (and affordable) EdS at the school I already live by/my spouse works for. I currently have a very unrelated job to just pay the bills so I considering trying to get a paraprofessional role (I checked and other are several pre-k and special ed openings) in the school system to show on my application my interests. If anyone has any thoughts or opinions on that I would love to hear it!
Get that tuition waver!

As a clinical psychologist you can do School Psychology testing and work for ABA companies and etc. School Psychologist and Clinical Psychologist learn a lot of the same test so there a lot of overlapping between the fields.

Other then that I would try to get teaching experience around your target age group or aba experience. I’m currently getting my Eds and will be getting the PsyD later.

Yes, I will! I can act interested enough in research because I truly do enjoy the results...I just don't want to be the one creating them long term!

For school psych would you say there are any jobs or experiences that look best on applications?
I would also say it might be helpful if your have experience with different educational programs like Montessori, Waldorf or STEAM. As well as experience with behavioral interventions, FBA, BiP and etc.

Last edited:
Get that tuition waver!
I was not sure if spouses get a waiver here but I will look into it! There are lots of Grad Assistant spots but they are very underpaid at this school (like 7k for the year my husband was one here and it was a struggle), so I was considering if I could land a paraprofessional role in the school system that might be a good way to build experience and have income during my EdS (classes are in the evening and online) if I could get some kind of spouse waiver that would be even better

As a clinical psychologist you can do School Psychology testing and work for ABA companies and etc. School Psychologist and Clinical Psychologist learn a lot of the same test so there a lot of overlapping between the fields.

Other then that I would try to get teaching experience around your target age group or aba experience. I’m currently getting my Eds and will be getting the PsyD later.
I will try to get some more teaching experience! They have a good deal of paraprofessional roles open so hopefully, that is something I can land. Thank you!

Additional question for this thread- would admissions people turn their nose at pre-school experience? That is the easiest opportunity for me to get within education (not being a licensed teacher and all), but I am worried there would be a stigma around it within academia....am I just being silly? I genuinely would be most interested in early education as a School Psychologist! Just concerned there would be a stigma around the youngsters being "babysitting" (which I know is not true just concerned the appearance on a grad application)

Additionally- I am debating whether just to stick with my corporate job through the application process.....my concern is that if I do that and do not get in will I regret not trying to pad my application with more ed/child....

As always thank you!

Last edited:
I'm in the early childhood world and I've never encountered stigma - it's a crucial period of development and research supports early intervention. All of the school psychologists I've encountered would agree. If there's stigma toward us coming from outside of the school or child/adolescent world, I haven't noticed :1geek:

My focus would be on whether this experience aligns with or supports your research interests and those of the faculty that you are applying to. Your application is one big argument for why you're a great fit and will be successful in their program. Make sure that new experiences bolster that in some way.

Also, I think that if you're going the doc route, research experience is more important to seek than school/clinical experience. Perhaps the opposite for Ed.S., for most programs.