School PsyD Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmkcmk

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interviewing at William James and Rutgers for their School PsyD programs. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas of what to expect in an interview. This is my first time and I haven't found much sound advice on how to prepare. I am quite nervous and still waiting to hear from the Stanford PGSP program along with University College London and Kings College London.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

I am interviewing at William James and Rutgers for their School PsyD programs. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas of what to expect in an interview. This is my first time and I haven't found much sound advice on how to prepare. I am quite nervous and still waiting to hear from the Stanford PGSP program along with University College London and Kings College London.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

I can't comment on those particular programs but you should prepare well thought out answers to: Why school psych? Why a doctorate rather than master's? Why this program? What do you plan to do when you complete your degree? Review what commonalities you have with faculty and incorporate that in your answers. Be able to speak about what makes you unique as an applicant (professional skills). Also review your personal statement and application materials incase they ask specific questions from your application. I hope that helps.

Also interested in this. I already have a master's so the ballgame isn't completely unknown territory.
I turned down the William James interview offer but am interviewing at Pacific University, Spalding, and Marywood.

More interested in recent experiences. A colleague of mine was interviewing for PhD programs and said to be prepared for a long day of networking and "selling" yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are lots of threads on this, did you try searching the forum?
Side note- IMO I would stay clear of William James. They have a really bad reputation

There are lots of threads on this, did you try searching the forum?
Side note- IMO I would stay clear of William James. They have a really bad reputation
I was there today... definitely had a mixed experience. Can you elaborate on why their reputation is not very good?

Look at their stats. I'm pretty sure they have huge cohorts, its a ridiculous amount of money, they have 30ish faculty listed for the psyd program, etc...'' I'm in the same general, geographical area as WJ, and everyone I've spoken to about it seems to have a very bad impression. I cant speak for the school psyd specifically, but it's not a respected university from what I've gathered. I've only heard negative things about the Clinical Psyd and MA programs, and I know they tend to accept lower quality applicants.

Look at their stats. I'm pretty sure they have huge cohorts, its a ridiculous amount of money, they have 30ish faculty listed for the psyd program, etc...'' I'm in the same general, geographical area as WJ, and everyone I've spoken to about it seems to have a very bad impression. I cant speak for the school psyd specifically, but it's not a respected university from what I've gathered. I've only heard negative things about the Clinical Psyd and MA programs, and I know they tend to accept lower quality applicants.
There was only 7 in the full psyD cohort for this year but there were MA added to make 15. Do you recommend any there school PsyDs?

I did my undergrad and grad training in Boston and I disagree about William James. I'm not a fan of un-funded programs in general, and I'm skeptical of the PsyD model (I'm a hardcore believer in the benefits to clinical practitioners of serious, intensive reseach training), so I have no skin in this game...but my experience at various practicum sites was that William James was a well-respected institution, at least locally. That's assuming your goal is to practice.

Reactions: 1 user
My goal is to practice. I just got a very unprofessional vibe from the current students. If I get in, I will return and sit in on some classes.

That's a good idea! Rutgers has a much better reputation overall. Did you apply anywhere else?

I'm canadian and I feel like I messed up on where to apply. I met a really impressive candidate at Rutgers and we went to WJ together and had a similar opinion. She applied to kean and I wish I had.
I applied only to two school psyD programs.
I am thinking of applying to the UNC chapel hill school PhD but, I don't think I have enough research experience

any other opinions on William James?