school rankings?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MintBunni

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

So I am thinking of applying to schools this year, but I really have no idea how I should go about doing this. Are there rankings of the schools that I should keep in mind? Is this like college where I should pick "reach" schools, "maybe" schools, and "safety" schools to apply to? What schools would fall into what category and where can I find more info?

Members don't see this ad.

Think of them all as "reach" schools and then you are on your way.

There is no such thing as a "safety" vet school. And the closes thing you could have to a "maybe" school would be if you have an in-state school you can apply to.

I would ignore rankings. It seems to me like all the vet schools are adequate for getting a good veterinary education. I don't feel like it's the same as undergrad, where there is a huge range in quality.

I personally will base my apps on where I have the prereqs and where I am willing to live for 4 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Think of them all as "reach" schools and then you are on your way.

There is no such thing as a "safety" vet school. And the closes thing you could have to a "maybe" school would be if you have an in-state school you can apply to.

i completely agree!
when i applied last year to 5 or so schools, i started off with the mindset that i didn't even have a 50% chance of getting in...not to be pessimistic about it, or the quality of myself as an applicant, but just based on the competition for spots.
it's also slightly easier that way when (in my case) you don't get into any of the schools

Last edited:
I agree!

There is no "safety" in vet school- it's not like undergrad. You need to bust your butt to get in to anything! Good luck!:D