School receives accreditation before graduation

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by Staffie, 09.28.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Staffie

Staffie 2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Hello everyone!

I'm in a bit of a unique situation as far as choosing where to go to school. I am a US citizen and got my undergrad degree in the US, but I live in the UK and am eligible for home student fees over here. Obviously, RVC, Edinburgh and Glasgow would be great because they have AVMA accreditation, however only RVC has cheap tuition (the Scottish schools require those with an undergraduate degree to pay full fees regardless of residence status).

I'm thinking of applying to Nottingham's vet school, but they are not currently accredited by the AVMA. According to their website,

"Are you accredited by the AVMA (American Veterinary Medical Association)?

We are in communication with the AVMA. We cannot be reviewed until we have 5 years of graduated students i.e. 2016/17. "

If I were to start studying there next Fall and they later receive accreditation before I graduate, will I be considered to have graduated from an AVMA accredited institution? Or must the school receive accreditation before my studies commence? It would be great to be able to avoid having to take additional tests to allow me to practice in the US should I decide to move back in the future.

Thanks for your help!

Also, does anyone know if I could use US Federal Loans to pay for school at Nottingham? They are a FAFSA school because US students can get federal funding for degrees there (Bachelors, Masters etc), but would it not be allowed for a veterinary degree at this time because of the lack of accreditation for the program?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Fly Racing

Fly Racing 2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Assuming AVMA-COE remains the recognized accrediting body (it is up for its standard review period and a lot of people are petitioning to remove AVMA from that capacity), if you graduate from the school in the year it is accredited or later, you will graduate with the full rights of graduating from an accredited school. Regarding funding, probably someone from the school is going to be your best resource. It sounds like there is a good chance since is it a FAFSA school and a vet degree is a bachelors there.

If Nottingham does not get the accreditation, I think (emphasis on think, but don't know), you'd be required to take the 33 weeks of US clinicals to complete the pave program requirements or sit for the other exam, which has a much higher failure rate. I did some of this research while considering a school in Holland, but decided it wasn't worth it for me.

4. pinkpuppy9

pinkpuppy9 Illinois c/o 2019 2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    So I take it the AVMA accredits international schools different than US schools? Midwestern has "reasonable assurance" that they will be accredited once they graduate their FIRST class. Nottingham has to graduate 5 classes before they can even begin the accreditation process?

5. Fly Racing

Fly Racing 2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
  6. bbeventer

bbeventer Illinois 2016 5+ Year Member

Veterinarian
  7. that redhead

that redhead 5+ Year Member

Verified
    Veterinarian
    Well that just beats all...

8. WhtsThFrequency

WhtsThFrequency walk like a monkey, kick like a mule 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Verified
    Veterinarian
    LOL.

[​IMG]

9. pinkpuppy9

pinkpuppy9 Illinois c/o 2019 2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Excuse my ignorance....but why does the AVMA need to collect annual "dues" from these schools? I'm sure you all can come up with creative answers, but what is the AVMA's reasoning? Paperwork/legal/whatever?

10. DVMDream

DVMDream Don't disturb the snowflakes 7+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Verified
    Veterinarian
    Their reasoning is listed in the link Fly Racing posted, just further down the page.

ETA: I am sure they charge US schools for accreditation procedures and processing as well, but I can't find anything on the site about that. Doubt it is as much as $11,000 though. Though add in travel to the overseas schools and you automatically hit about $1500 of that $11,000.

11. Aggievetgirl2013

Aggievetgirl2013 2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    So.. What do y'all think about attending Western since its not accredited? I got an interview there but I'm hesitant because its not accredited and not sure what all I would need to do if I did graduate from there..

12. DVMDream

Veterinary Student
    Verified
    Veterinarian
    Western in California is accredited... are you talking about somewhere else?

13. Lupin21

Lupin21 Do Not Disturb Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I believe it is under probationary accredation currently.

14. DVMDream

Veterinary Student
    Verified
    Veterinarian
    Meh, possible, but if I remember correctly doesn't change anything; they are still seen as "accredited" when the class graduates. Kind of just a "warning" to fix whatever.

15. Aggievetgirl2013

Aggievetgirl2013 2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Oh sorry I meant Midwestern.. I've officially applied to too many schools...

16. Lupin21

Lupin21 Do Not Disturb Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Yep. Just a threat that if they don't, it can be withdrawn. Thought maybe that was what the OP was worried about.

DVMDream likes this.
  17. DVMDream

Veterinary Student
    Verified
    Veterinarian
    They are set to have full accreditation soon... kind of up to you though. I mean, there is definitely a risk involved there that if for some reason accreditation falls through then you would have to take additional exams to be licensed, but I don't really see that happening with midwestern but anything is possible. I have to say that even though I don't agree with opening new schools, midwestern has a lot put a lot of work and a lot of money into their school. It really is up to you if you are comfortable attending a new school or not.

18. Escalla

Escalla treading water 2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    They are provisionally accredited, so as long as they continue to provide evidence to the COE that they're complying with the standards and its plan, they'll receive full accreditation upon the graduation of the first class. If they don't, "it may be placed on Terminal Accreditation and be required to follow the procedures outlined for that accreditation, thereby protecting the interests of enrolled students." (AVMA COE website) Each school doesn't receive accreditation until the graduation of the first class.

So essentially there isn't much to be concerned with.

19. Escalla

Escalla treading water 2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Canadian schools didn't have to wait any longer than the usual, so I don't know if it's an outside North America thing or not.

Not sure what the process was for UNAM.

20. dyachei

dyachei vet robot pirate zombie SDN Administrator 7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Verified
    Veterinarian
    Yeah, pretty much any school on probationary or provisionary accreditation will still graduate accredited students. They just may not be able to take any more classes if they lose it completely (and that would happen at the time of loss). There are certainly other risks associated with joining a new school, but this isn't one of them

About the ads