School Selection Spreadsheet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Depakote

Pediatric Anesthesiologist
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last year I made a spreadsheet that helped me organize my thoughts when I was deciding between some schools.

I've adapted it to help those of you that might still be deciding which offers to decline and those of you that might be getting off of waitlists in the coming weeks.

Here is how you use the sheet and interpret the results:

First. Take the criteria and put them in the order most important to you. Add any that you need.

Then give the schools subjective grades. If one school did particularly well in that area, give the school positive number, if the school did particularly poorly give it a negative number. For me, the rankings are a bit relative in that I had been to both schools prior to filling out the form, and if both were exactly tied, I gave both 0's. However, if both did well in an area, I would give both positive numbers, b/c a good performance in one area could outweigh a poor performance in another (e.x. all had good medical mission opportunities but School A got a better score, b/c I liked their's better and that point for Schools B and C could counteract something that I didn't like another area). The color coding was an after thought to make everything a little easier to understand.

Once you have the values totaled, use the sum function to total your raw score.

Now the spreadsheet should automatically calculate an adjusted score in the adjusted columns. This score is weighted by the value of the importance of each criteria (so curriculum is more important than gym and gets more weight in the adjusted score). The adjusted score will then be the one you want to look at if you are using this spreadsheet.

The multiplication factor is not entirely arbitrary, but it's not totally scientific.

the formula is y=1/(.25x)

This gives you a decreasing multiplier that looks something like this:

decreasingmultiai7.jpg

I played with the values and this seemed to give a good decreasing scale across ~20 criteria. It gives good strong points to the most important criteria by heavilly weighting them and then levels off at the later criteria.

If you're making major changes, you'll want to check to be sure that you haven't thrown off any of the calculations. If you don't have any experience with Excel, you might want to get some help with this.

Anyway, a lot of this was just gut reaction when assessing certain aspects of the schools. Go with what you think works... let me know if you have specific questions. Good luck.

Disclaimer: This is just a tool to help you make decisions. I pretty much found that the spreasheet just confirmed what I was thinking all along. If you disagree with what the spreadsheet says or wishing the results came out different, that's probably you making your decision right there.

Here is the spreadsheet and an example spreadsheet on how you might apply it:

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• medical school comparison spreadsheets.zip
    9.8 KB · Views: 1,560
Reactions: 2 users
Thanks! I was trying to make something to this effect last night so I'll definitely take a look at this!

Members don't see this ad :)
Stickied. :) Very helpful, thanks! :D

This looks like a good tool. I couldn't help myself from guessing about A, B, C and I had A=DMU B=AZCOM?? C=PCOM/CCOM. On the charts page I found out I was pretty much right about DMU and CCOM because it went from saying "A and C" to the real names. No such luck on B though, still just said B. In any event, thanks for the useful tool! I can only hope I'll br lucky enough to use it next year

This looks like a good tool. I couldn't help myself from guessing about A, B, C and I had A=DMU B=AZCOM?? C=PCOM/CCOM. On the charts page I found out I was pretty much right about DMU and CCOM because it went from saying "A and C" to the real names. No such luck on B though, still just said B. In any event, thanks for the useful tool! I can only hope I'll br lucky enough to use it next year

Ah, thought I had taken all the original school info out, guess I missed some. :laugh:

Anyway, since you saw I'll go ahead and say that School B was KCUMB.

edit: the original spreadsheets also had columns for OMM and dress-codes.

I've revised and streamlined the spreadsheet.

If you used the other-one, there really isn't a functional difference. This one just has it all in one place.

Attachments

• Med School Comparison Spreadsheet.xls
    106.5 KB · Views: 481
This is great! I am glad to see others love excel just as much as I do.

WOW...yeah, that's all I have to say. :thumbup:

Using this and finding very helpful 9 years later. This should be a bulletin post!

Reactions: 1 user