School Selection?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringdoc09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying in this application cycle and needed some help to figure out which schools I should not consider because they have regional preferences. I am a Mississippi resident 3.3 sGPA, 3.5 cGPA, MCAT practice (mid-20s but I want to get to 30+ by July date). I am applying using TMDSAS and AMCAS to cast my net out there too. Thanks.

I want to remove schools based on region, but it seems most of the DO schools are in a rural area. Also, I briefly looked over a few and realized I can't satisfy LOR requirements. My school didn't have a premed committee/advisor and I cannot get a DO letter because I only shadow one for 4 hrs back in January (work full-time). I am interested in schools that will allow me to engage in research but don't mind attending schools that don't have research facilities. Still on the fence about cost of attendance (MSUCOM). I noticed some have expensive Secondary App fees too. Any suggestions?

P.S.: I'm not trying to be arrogant only honest, but I don't want to apply to any newly opened schools because I don't want to deal with all the stress of being a guinea pig class. No offense.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am applying in this application cycle and needed some help to figure out which schools I should not consider because they have regional preferences. I am a Mississippi resident 3.3 sGPA, 3.5 cGPA, MCAT practice (mid-20s but I want to get to 30+ by July date). I am applying using TMDSAS and AMCAS to cast my net out there too. Thanks.

I want to remove schools based on region, but it seems most of the DO schools are in a rural area. Also, I briefly looked over a few and realized I can't satisfy LOR requirements. My school didn't have a premed committee/advisor and I cannot get a DO letter because I only shadow one for 4 hrs back in January (work full-time). I am interested in schools that will allow me to engage in research but don't mind attending schools that don't have research facilities. Still on the fence about cost of attendance (MSUCOM). I noticed some have expensive Secondary App fees too. Any suggestions?

P.S.: I'm not trying to be arrogant only honest, but I don't want to apply to any newly opened schools because I don't want to deal with all the stress of being a guinea pig class. No offense.

I don't think that is arrogant at all. It's a completely legitimate concern and with your GPA and probable MCAT score, you have no reason to be considering the new schools.

I don't think any school requires a committee letter unless you are currently enrolled at an institution that provides committee letters. I graduated from one such school, but since I no longer attend classes there, I don't need a committee letter (I've verified this with several admissions departments).

I don't know much about the TX system, but from what I've read on SDN, it seems like non-TX residents have a very minute chance of getting in and (no offense) your GPA isn't going to help you get in.

Also, I'm confused about what you are saying in regard to DO schools. Do you not like rural areas so you don't want to go to any school in a rural area? Or are you concerned that any DO school not in your region will accept you?

I'm in a similar position you are (3.22 GPA, 33Q MCAT) and from what I've been told, only a handful of DO schools have strong regional bias (PCOM and the other New England schools come to mind).

The 10% cap deters many OOS applicants, but heck, $200 covers all the Texas schools. You never know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think that is arrogant at all. It's a completely legitimate concern and with your GPA and probable MCAT score, you have no reason to be considering the new schools.

I don't think any school requires a committee letter unless you are currently enrolled at an institution that provides committee letters. I graduated from one such school, but since I no longer attend classes there, I don't need a committee letter (I've verified this with several admissions departments).

I don't know much about the TX system, but from what I've read on SDN, it seems like non-TX residents have a very minute chance of getting in and (no offense) your GPA isn't going to help you get in.

Also, I'm confused about what you are saying in regard to DO schools. Do you not like rural areas so you don't want to go to any school in a rural area? Or are you concerned that any DO school not in your region will accept you?

I'm in a similar position you are (3.22 GPA, 33Q MCAT) and from what I've been told, only a handful of DO schools have strong regional bias (PCOM and the other New England schools come to mind).

I wanted to apply to TCOM and maybe 2 or 3 Texas MD schools. People keep warning me, but I believe in trying. You never know. Plus, it isn't expensive unless they give me a bunch of interviews without intending to admit me.

Like I know there are states where I'm pretty sure I won't attend unless they are offering something that align with my interests (Nevada, Washington, Colorado come to mind). My questions were more towards schools that have regional biases considering I'm from MS. Are there schools that will not consider me? I noticed a few didn't list both residential and nonresidential tuition, so I was concerned about that. PCOM is bias? DANG! Thanks MedPR.

The 10% cap deters many OOS applicants, but heck, $200 covers all the Texas schools. You never know.

Yeah. I believe in trying and failing than not trying at all. Plus, if I want to apply to TCOM, then I had to apply using the TMDSAS system. I want to focus on schools that allow me to engage in research if I choose, but I won't forgo applying if it isn't a research-based institution. Thanks Costales.

I wanted to apply to TCOM and maybe 2 or 3 Texas MD schools. People keep warning me, but I believe in trying. You never know. Plus, it isn't expensive unless they give me a bunch of interviews without intending to admit me.

Like I know there are states where I'm pretty sure I won't attend unless they are offering something that align with my interests (Nevada, Washington, Colorado come to mind). My questions were more towards schools that have regional biases considering I'm from MS. Are there schools that will not consider me? I noticed a few didn't list both residential and nonresidential tuition, so I was concerned about that. PCOM is bias? DANG! Thanks MedPR.

Yea, I've been told quite a few times that it is unlikely I'll get into PCOM since I'm in MO.

Here's my DO list, and as far as I know regional bias will not play a large role in keeping me out (except PCOM and maybe LECOM).

A.T. Still University, Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine, MO
A.T. Still University, School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona, AZ
Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University,
Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine, IA
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine, MO
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Bradenton Campus, FL
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Erie/Seton Hill, PA
Lincoln Memorial University - DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine, TN
Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine, FL
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, PA
Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine

LECOM and PCOM being regionally biased is news to me. Are you thinking of PWNU?

Yea, I've been told quite a few times that it is unlikely I'll get into PCOM since I'm in MO.

Here's my DO list, and as far as I know regional bias will not play a large role in keeping me out (except PCOM and maybe LECOM).

Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine, MO

Which Tuoro are you applying too? All 3? I plan to apply to the NY school. I can see this will be a very expensive process. Thank goodness I have a FAP for the AMCAS application (14 schools free and may throw in a few more). Hopefully, I can get 3 free with the AACOMAS app., and Texas is cheap enough to apply to a few. I was looking at ATSU in AZ, CCOM, KCUMB, not sure about LECOM sites yet, NOVA, OSUCOM, MSUCOM (I may kick myself because the tuition is ridiculous). Can we get in-state tuition for MSUCOM after first year? If not, I may forgo applying to them. ~$80,000 d**n!!! My problem is I don't know a lot about DO schools, so I have to do research. I am learning more about them as I go. I'm not completely sold on OMT but that is because I don't have a PP who is a DO. The DO I did shadow specialized in internal medicine and doesn't use OMT. I can see myself living in Florida, Virginia, NY, IL, MI, OK, OH, PA, ME, TN, TX, NJ and CA. I would like to leave MS because I've been here all my life but I have to apply to my state schools. Well I don't have to, but it would be stupid not to.

If I base my schools on research institutions alone, I can definitely knock out a lot. To use my entire salary on medical school applications or not? That is the question, LOL!

Ok, so not to hijack the thread or anything but how can you tell if you've been given or qualified for the fee waiver with AACOMAS? I turned in all the paperwork and it says received on my application but nothing more than that. Do I get a letter in the mail or something? Thanks

Ok, so not to hijack the thread or anything but how can you tell if you've been given or qualified for the fee waiver with AACOMAS? I turned in all the paperwork and it says received on my application but nothing more than that. Do I get a letter in the mail or something? Thanks

I got a message to my inbox on the application. An email told me that it was there, otherwise I wouldn't have known it was there. I sent my fee waiver in on May 3rd (the day AACOMAS opened) and got the message on May 10th.

MSUCOM offers scholarships to OOS students to bring the tuition down to In-state levels. However, the scholarships are limited it would seem. LECOM is not regionally biased.

MedPR, no love for AZCOM or Western-Pomona?

MSUCOM offers scholarships to OOS students to bring the tuition down to In-state levels. However, the scholarships are limited it would seem. LECOM is not regionally biased.

Well that makes me feel better but I would need to be competitive enough. So, OOS med students will always be considered OOS for their entire time of attendance? Why is their OOS tuition so insanely high?

I heard AZCOM and Pomona were both extremely regionally biased. AZCOM primarily because they have a chicago campus (MSU) and wanted to keep the AZ campus for west coasters.

Is that wrong?

Members don't see this ad :)

Our lists are almost identical. :thumbup:

I heard AZCOM and Pomona were both extremely regionally biased. AZCOM primarily because they have a chicago campus (MSU) and wanted to keep the AZ campus for west coasters.

Is that wrong?

I don't know where you guys get this information lol. I haven't heard of AZCOM or Western-Pomona having any regional bias at all. I could be wrong but I doubt it. A lot of west coasters apply to these schools because we want to stay on the west coast, but if you are a qualified applicant, I would apply to these schools if you think you might want to attend. Besides, CCOM and AZCOM's secondary are pretty much exactly the same (little tweak for Why AZCOM vs Why CCOM).

I don't know where you guys get this information lol. I haven't heard of AZCOM or Western-Pomona having any regional bias at all. I could be wrong but I doubt it. A lot of west coasters apply to these schools because we want to stay on the west coast, but if you are a qualified applicant, I would apply to these schools if you think you might want to attend. Besides, CCOM and AZCOM's secondary are pretty much exactly the same (little tweak for Why AZCOM vs Why CCOM).

What do you mean?

I guess I could add on those schools. I don't mind AZ, but I don't know much about Pomona. SOCAL, right? Maybe I'll add both just for good measure.

He means... There is a prompt in both secondaries (which he is right, they look exactly the same) in which they ask you why you want to go to there school.

He means... There is a prompt in both secondaries (which he is right, they look exactly the same) in which they ask you why you want to go to there school.

Oh, I missed the "secondary" in the sentence. Thanks :)

I mean, if you don't want to attend either of these schools then don't apply. But I think you have a great chance at both schools.

Pomona is in SOCAL, but the pomona area is like the armpit of California. Still, it's a great school and there's decent places to live 10 min out from the campus.

I mean, if you don't want to attend either of these schools then don't apply. But I think you have a great chance at both schools.

Pomona is in SOCAL, but the pomona area is like the armpit of California. Still, it's a great school and there's decent places to live 10 min out from the campus.

:laugh:

You should check out Riverside or Lancaster :p. the benefit is that you still get to enjoy the beautiful socal weather in Pomona!

Also, I noticed that a few say if you don't have a premed committee letter, then you have to get the dean who awarded you your undergrad degree to write one. What is the point of that? The dean wouldn't know me if I punched him in the face because we didn't have many interactions. The chair of my department is a difference, but a dean? Some of these schools' LOR requests are insane!

Also, I noticed that a few say if you don't have a premed committee letter, then you have to get the dean who awarded you your undergrad degree to write one. What is the point of that? The dean wouldn't know me if I punched him in the face because we didn't have many interactions. The chair of my department is a difference, but a dean? Some of these schools' LOR requests are insane!

I think it's to check to make sure you don't have any IA against you.

That's just going to take too long to get a letter like that.

Was looking at some MD schools and Utah requires 6 letters, each of them from specific individuals. For example they require a letter from a research person, and a letter from a volunteer person. Too much imo.

Not that I am trying to discourage you from the TMDSAS application, but the 90% rule in Texas means that the competition for those spots is ridiculous. A friend of mine finished the special masters program at TCOM with ~3.8 GPA and is still wait listed because they are an out of state resident. Low tuition and cost of living combined with excellent hospital systems makes the OOS Texas applications extremely competitive.