School suggestions: Botanical Medicine to Allopathic Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phytomed17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I am currently a 4th-year student at Emory University, graduating Magna Cum Laude with a B.A. in Linguistics.
As of recently, I have decided to take two gap years instead of one, but I will be moving to the UK in September to get my MSc in Ethnobotany from the University of Kent, and my MS (online) in Clinical Herbal Medicine (resulting in RH -- registered herbalist -- certification w/ 400 clinical hours) from the Maryland University of Integrative Health with clinical work completed in the UK. I will apply in next year's cycle for 2024 matriculation.

However, I am struggling to decide whether my interests are too... avant-garde for MD programs? I was raised by a mother who almost exclusively used herbal medicine in the home, but I have always been fascinated by the why and how they work -- by their chemistry, synergies, and global uses (80% of the global population relies on plants as their primary pharmacopeia, and only 1.5% of documented plants used in traditional medicine systems have been rigorously studied in a lab setting) -- which has led me to want to pursue graduate study in ethnobotany.
Further, my reasoning for studying linguistics is because of my interest in healthcare communication and narrative medicine. I see the importance for all these knowledge systems in the framework of contemporary biomedicine (especially with the exponential rise in herbal supplement use and changes in patient-doctor dynamics), and I hope to explore them further as I continue my education and down my path toward becoming a physician. While at Emory, I have worked in the Quave Research Group, a medical ethnobotany lab where we analyze plant compounds for pharmacological activity in an effort to discover new antibiotics, and I did independent corpus studies on physician rhetoric in relation to COVID-19 and alternative therapies.

These experiences have solidified in me a passion and drive to shape a career in integrative medicine, but I am concerned about how I will effectively craft an application that won't make an admission committee think "He sounds better suited for an ND program."
While there is absolutely nothing wrong with being a Naturopath (Emory Hospital actually hired its first Naturopathic Oncologist this last year!), that career path won't allow me the mobility to achieve all the goals I have laid out for my career (such as being board-certified in Internal Medicine, Dermatology (Med-Derm residency), and Integrative Medicine (Fellowship)). Further, most DO schools are lower-ranking and in undesirable locations (unfortunately).
While I know that I am early in my educational career, I truly see myself pursuing an MD, working as a physician in Integrative Health. I just need some guidance.
That said, I am trying to prioritize schools with Osher Centers, but are there any other schools that are particularly open-minded and more student-focused in terms of giving freedom to explore particular interests (like ethnobotany, mind-body connection, community medicine)? Perhaps MD/MPH? And are there gaps in my stats for application?

For context:

Residency: Texas (UTSW is a top choice, especially for my family)
3.8 cGPA/3.7 sGPA, Dean's List 5 semesters
MCAT: yet to take
Certs: CPR/AED, Certified Personal Trainer, Certified Yoga Instructor
ExCs/Leadership/Volunteer:
- President and Founder, Emory Chapter of the Botanical Society of America
- President, Emory Chapter of the Phi Sigma Iota International Foreign Language Honor Society
- President, Phi Eta Sigma National Honor Society
- President and Founder, Emory Yoga Club
- Volunteer and Educational Workshop Leader (Yoga and Nutrition), Emory HELPS Guatemala (we plan and conduct annual, international surgical trips to rural Guatemalan communities absent of healthcare access, with a team of Emory surgeons)
- Volunteer, Emory Tourguide
- Volunteer, Emory Reads -- Math and Science Tutor for underserved middle-schoolers without the means to pay for private tutoring
- Interfaith Chair, Emory Jewish Student Union
Languages: English, Spanish, Hebrew
Clinical:
- 800 hours, intern at Plastic Surgery Center
- 400 hours, intern at an acupuncture clinic
- 250 hours, personal training (not exactly 'clinical,' but many transferrable skills gained in something I am passionate about, as a member of the network of allied health professionals)
Research:
- Quave Research Group, Phytochemistry Research Assistant
- Emory Department of Chemistry, Research Scholar studying phytoremediation of gabapentin-contaminated water via duckweed (conference)
- Bachelor's Thesis: A Theoretical Account of Whale Song Syntax: A New Perspective for Understanding Human Language Structure (publication in progress)
- Medical Ethnobotany Summer Intern, Ecuadorian Amazon, studied anti-inflammatory plant use among traditional Shaman communities

I would really love input on this, as I have a bit of time to perfect my school list and fill in gaps before I apply next June, but I just need to make sure I know what I need to work on.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Agree with @Med Ed. You are anything but cookie cutter and you do have an application that will pique the curiosity of adcoms for its novelty.

I thought that you might take a look at the research programs funded by the NCCIH to get an idea of schools that might have faculty you could work with while in med school but there is almost nothing going on in TX. California is #1 and NC, MA, MN, RI are close to the top in terms of grants. Still, it might be worth looking at when you are read to make your list.

Reactions: 2 users