School Transcript or AMCAS Grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrSK

New Kid In Town
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Medical Schools consider School Transcript or Grades entered in AMCAS application as final reflection of students academic career?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

Medical Schools consider School Transcript or Grades entered in AMCAS application as final reflection of students academic career?

Thanks
They should be the same, unless you aren't on an ABCDF system. In that case they use AMCAS.

But if you have repeated some classes then both will add up to different GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools count/don't count grades that AMCAS would. For example, I have study abroad credit that factored into my AMCAS GPA, but my school didn't count it. Also, AMCAS factors in every school you've ever been to, even if it was a class you took in high school and got a C+ in because it was way over your head but wanted to get some exposure to college-level classes, d-mnit.

Some schools count/don't count grades that AMCAS would. For example, I have study abroad credit that factored into my AMCAS GPA, but my school didn't count it. Also, AMCAS factors in every school you've ever been to, even if it was a class you took in high school and got a C+ in because it was way over your head but wanted to get some exposure to college-level classes, d-mnit.

so medical schools don't really care/overlook some classes you took in high school? I hope some if not all medical schools just focus on my grades in college lol. I have a C and a B from some of the classes I took while I was in high school and if they are gone, my GPA will be 3.9 lol

AMCAS, AACOMAS (DO), and college transcripts can vary wildly. My overall GPA from AMCAS was 3.35, while AACOS was 3.73; due to some repeats. However, I graduated summa cum laude from my undergrad institution with a 3.90.

If you are trying to figure out your AMCAS GPA range there are some decent Excel spreadsheets online; just do a Google search. All in all, I found the MD application to the the most unforgiving.